back to article Qinetiq announces UK layoffs, US sales

Controversial war-boffinry spinoff firm Qinetiq has announced a contract to sell a US-designed precision-parachute system to the RAF, just as it decided to eject 400 of its UK staff. The layoffs came the same day it announced a rise in interim sales and profits. The Times quotes Graham Love, Qinetiq CEO, as saying: "We are …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No Surprise

QinetiQ have been shedding staff for well over a year now, either through people leaving of their own accord or taking voluntary redundancy as a means of escape. Given that in many departments there is a shortage of work and staff have nothing to do staff morale is low. Added to this changes to the pension scheme, pay freezes and staff jobs being relocated to other sites as means to encourage them to leave, I'm sure the exodus will continue.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Not like the usual, no siree

What seems not to be mentioned in all this is part of the reason for these redundancies is the outsourcing of many of these 'admin' jobs to India. Finance, contract, personal details....

See

http://www.ebiologynews.com/technology/india-is-offshoring-hub-but-may-lose-to-china-deloitte.html

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

my face is my fortune

"What is your fortune, my pretty maid"

"My face is my fortune, sir" she said

"Then I can't marry you, my pretty maid"

"Nobody asked you sir" she said

Greed, perks, and salary differentials have never motivated scientists who are in love with the joy of creating technology and the pursuit of discovery is their treasure.

I would say that the only way to keep such staff happy and to bring out their potential is to make an alliance with Sony or similar conglomerate that can take the variety of ideas from these some of the worlds most talented scientists and find for them a commercial future and job security. Why are the bosses not engaged in that? Sounds like a good proposition. Buying other firms and analysis of profit cycles will never satisfy the aspirations of such a concentration of talent.

This topic is closed for new posts.