back to article Boy George plonks tech centre onto Silicon Roundabout

An energy, transport and social data "research centre" was announced by the Chancellor of the Exchequer George Osborne this morning. Speaking at the annual Google Zeitgeist event, Osborne said that teams at Imperial College London and University College London were working together to create the new centre in collaboration …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. John Edwards
    Grenade

Huh?

If the new administration is so plugged in how come I had to spend an age on the phone to the census people. Apart from the fact that it took them a long time to answer it, that is. No, they didn't have a public email address. Grenade for obvious reasons.

1. The Jase

Census?

No email? Really?

I contacted them via the Interwebz, either on their webpage, or via email (can't quite remember). And they even got back to me. Pastafarian is NOT a typo for Rastafarian.

2. Tom 38
      FAIL

@John

Because you were supposed to fill out the idiot form in 10 minutes, online, rather than ring them up, which isn't exactly spanking the intertubes is it?

TBH, I'm quite glad that they didn't spend lots of money employing a massive team of phone drones to placate people, nor to provide lots of people answering queries via email. The census was just a short questionnaire, and came with lots of lovely instructions.

2. david 63

Suprised he didn't say...

... 'wisdom of the oiks'

1. Elmer Phud

Even worse than that

" "Instead of simply relying on government hierarchies to decide which regulations should be reformed or abolished, we've opened up the process to the wisdom of the crowd," said Osborne."

'We've decided to leave it all to you to sort it out, you and that nice Ms Lane-Fox.

If it all goes tits-up it's your fault - plebs'

3. Techmeetups.com
    Thumb Up

3 cheers !

3 cheers for Silicon Roundabout & Tech City

1. Code Monkey

Re: 3 cheers

Yeah. I loved Nathan Barley, too.

4. Ben Norris

all talk

Most of the opendata is useless for anything ongoing because there is no good way to get updates.

5. Ally J

"we've opened up the process to the wisdom of the crowd"

We. Are. Doomed.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Having played "Werewolves" this weekend..

I firmly subscribe this view. In that Mafia-based card/role playing game, so quickly a consensus is built to kill a fellow player, usually wrongly... Everybody sees and hears almost the same things, so they must know there's no real evidence either way, but they still go for mob justice. And that's amongst friends...

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wait... what?

"We simply cannot afford to be modern-day Luddites"

And that's why we fully embrace Facebook.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

new phrases for old

for "wisdom of the crowd" read "witch hunt"

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like