back to article Microsoft claims Windows Azure appliances exist

Microsoft remains enthusiastic about the idea of selling a cloud-in-a-box, but it has conceded that its Windows Azure Appliances, unveiled nearly a year back, are few and far between. Server and tools general manager Charles Di Bona has told financial analysts that Microsoft has started to roll out "some" Windows Azure …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Goat Jam
    FAIL

Yawntastic

Is it just me, or is anybody else wholeheartedly sick of the constant hyping of the so called "cloud" by companies trying to convince us all to buy into it?

Considering the epic amounts of drum beating going on, there seems to be remarkably little in the way of actual activity happening at the coal face.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Not that sick, but not much coal either

I sort of keep enough of an ear open to know if anything interesting is happening, but mostly ignore it all. By not clicking on too many links. Working for yourself keeps you a safe distance from a lot of bullshit too.

But, yes. I am aware of a lot of talking, and not much trousering. Well ... come to think of it, there's probably been a hell of a lot of trousering ...

2. The BigYin

Sort of

I am sick and tired of El Reg only discussing Azure, when the likes of OpenStack, EC2 et al are tearing MS a new one.

Cloud is a bit like REST, it's an architectural idea and it probably won't scratch all your itches. But to ignore it is a bit naive.

Also, markteers should be taken into a small room by the techs and have the true meaning of "cloud" beaten into them.

2. Bilgepipe
    Thumb Up

Awesome

>>> the notion of private clouds where the customer can keep more control of both the actual service and their data running inside it.

What an amazing idea, I think this is the future of computing. Microsoft will lead the way with this incredible innovation.

You could call it a "file server."

3. Gareth Gouldstone
    Happy

Names, names, names

Didn't we used to call the cloud 'mainframes'? Didn't we used to call cloud appliances 'terminals'?

"Get down from that cloud, someone needs the fluff!"

4. Herby

More names...

Ahhh...

Those old fashioned "cloud appliances" ASR33 teletypes.

Fast forward 40 or more years, and they are called iPad2's

Some things never change.

5. Cameron Colley

Is this a "revolution" based on a Visio symbol?

I can't help but think that the only reason all this stuff is called "cloud" is because of the Visio symbol most often used to denote anything "out there" on the internet rather than under control on a LAN.

6. Tom Masterson

Only when...

My company is extremely excited about the 'cloud'. We talk about it everyday, and imagine all we will be able to accomplish with it. We're just waiting for the day that it is announced that all hackers are dead, corporations operate at a level of honesty reserved only for gods, hardware is designed to last 1000's of years and of course, software is developed 100% bug-free and for the internet to be free.

After that, not even the sky is the limit.

7. John 62
    Badgers

shocked and appalled

I am shocked and appalled that no-one has asked if "Jefferies Global Technology, Internet, Media & Telecom Conference" has a YouTube account called "JefferiesTube"

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like