back to article Win an HP TouchPad!

This February, The Register ran an exclusive competition in which our readers had the opportunity to win an HP Slate. From over one thousand entries, we randomly selected Donald Kaplan as the lucky winner. Kaplan, a New York City–based PR exec, has been a loyal Reg reader throughout the current millennium – since the year 2000 …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Rodrigo Valenzuela

I hope

the touchpad comes with a full keyboard

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/05/05/special_youtube_keyboard/

Anyway, congratulations to the winner.

R

2. petur
    Dead Vulture

WARNING

This is just a way to get a lot of email addresses, and joining this automatically subscribes you to their ad mailinglist. Cheap way to get many subscribers!

1. John Hawkins

OK by me

At least it is obvious what is going on; I get a heap of 'newsletters' from various suppliers already at work - a few more are not going to make any difference and unlike the other suppliers I do have a chance on a new toy. Admittedly I'm probably more likely to be run over by a bus, but that bus is out to get me anyway.

2. ElReg!comments!Pierre

Well yes

That's the reason I didn't register (that, and I don't really want a touchpad anyway).

But if one wants (one in a million chance to) score a free fondleslab, the attached e-mail annoyance is easily filtrable...

3. Rodrigo Valenzuela
      WTF?

What?

I have been a reader of El Reg since the last century, and beyond the mailinglists that I have specifically subscribed to, I have never received any form of unsolicited email.

As far as I know, El Reg operates in a correct way towards their readers.

And before you ask, no, I don't any relation, of any type (commercial, friendship with someone, anything) at The Register.

But it really bothers me to see that someone who clearly is new here trashes a well know and respectable technology news site.

R

1. Getter lvl70 Druid

Yup, however....

....while El Reg may operate in a correct way, HP is another horse entirely. Likely to throw you off too.

I had filled out the form the last time and didn't submit due to the HP spam clause... the pay to play is too high. Now.... say if it was an Asus EEE Pad TF101 Transformer, I might be persuaded to add a trash email off one of my domains.

:)

Btw: why is it only old fucks win these things? Lottery, raffles, anything.... Hmm, been a fan of El reg since late 90's... getting gray... hell, I might have a chance!

1. ElReg!comments!Pierre

I agree. But.

I agree with almost all, but for the :

"I might be persuaded to add a trash email off one of my domains."

Why on earth would you taint one of your domains? Didn't you hear about those fancy new maily things offered for free by Google, Yahoo!, hotmail (MS), etc? I hear they all have virtually unlimited storage and handle spam reasonnably well. I've been told that you can even check them "remotely" using one of these newfangled POP3 or IMAP thingies, should you expect a specific email in a given period of time (like, say, the "You've won the Reg/HP fondleslab" type of mail) so you don't even have to bother filtering spam or dealing with the annoying webmail interface if you don't want to. All without ever tainting your pristine, paid-for domains. It sounds like magic. Too good to be true, must be one of them "urban legends".

1. Getter lvl70 Druid
            Pint

Meh...

...have all that shiite already - the so called free email accounts are automatic spam accounts - still have to deal with the spam from the provider. For some reason they don't like it when you filter out their spam. LOL Hotmail flat out refused to filter anything from the 'Windows Live Team" for a while there.

My domains have been out there for a long time and it's kinda nice to use a different email for stuff like this. It does take them a few weeks to get you, but as they say,"Where there's email, there is spam". I used to do spam defense for an ISP back in the dark ages of 33.3k-56.6k modem racks and it was/is a chore. Best results were when I blocked countries wholesale (like China) - I was never allowed to keep it because there was always ONE somebody who needed to email the blocked country.

3. John F***ing Stepp

Well I went ahead and signed up because Gmail has a move to spam thingee.

Which is quite efficient.

And I am old*.

*'Get off my email client!'

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like