back to article Microsoft coughs to wobbly Office Live problems

Microsoft has admitted that its soon-to-be retired Office Live product has been struggling to serve up accounts and websites for its small business customers for the best part of a week. "The issue has been resolved and the service is now functioning normally. We sincerely apologise for any inconvenience," wrote product …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"The company didn't reveal what had gone wrong, nor how many people had been affected"

Of course they didn't, they never do that unless there is such a public outcry that even the deaf realize that something has happened.

Anything less than that and everything is just peachy fine, no problems at all, really. Don't mind the skeleton in the corner, he's nobody you know.

2. Robert Moore
    Linux

Say it isn't so

Microsoft having trouble with an online offering... That just never happens.

3. the old rang
    Linux

A Rogue Redmond Feature

This isn't one of those 'Redmond Rogue Features' that always make 'Windows Users' so happy, is it?

Shameful ingrates using Windows complaining about those well Planned Redmond Rogue Features...

They are designed to add Excitement, Thrills, Chills and opportunities for hollow apologies.

4. PeterM42
    FAIL

Cloudy Office

I was involved with "experiments" on having word processing and spreadsheet calculations performed at the end of a "thin piece of string" back in the 1980's (today the somewhat sluggish internet connections) - IT JUST DOES NOT WORK! - It's too slow and unresponsive, which is why PCs (with their LOCAL processing) were/are so succesful. I have tried the "Office in the cloud" and, guess what? - too slow and unresponsive.

Virtual desktop is liable to suffer the same fate when servers and local networks get overloaded.

Long live local processing!!

1. MBaldelli
      FAIL

Cloudy Office? I'm not surprised

This isn't surprising in the least to hear given that back in the late 90s there was this start-up that tried to offer the same thing: The ASP (or Application Service Provider). What a complete joke that was trying to perform the same local work through a dedicated xDSL/Leased Line to these companies for thousands of dollars a month.

One company that I had been working for tried to use this for their office in the Atlanta area (with the ASP up the road only 5 miles away). 100 users would feel the pain with everything coming to a crashing halt routinely during the course of the day.

It sounds all well and good -- but the real world is still not ready for "Cloud Computing".

5. Pat 4
    FAIL

Unresolved...

Actually, the problems are much worse today.

Nothing has actually been resolved.

I'm now pushing to install a new mail server in house, and take all our stuff back before they suffer from an Amazon moment with our data...

BPOS just doesn't offer an acceptable level of service.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like