back to article Google opens Chrome Web Store to world+dog

Google has announced that its Chrome Web store is now available globally in over 41 languages. Google opened the Chrome Web Store in the US this past December, bringing the Apple App Store model to web applications. On Wednesday at its annual developer conference in San Francisco, it said that it has now opened the store …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. vincent himpe

what's

chrome ? and does it need polishing ?

2. DZ-Jay

Wtf?

What the heck do you need an "app store" to purchase a URL to a web site?

-dZ.

1. Rob Moir

What does this store *actually* sell

I'm wondering much the same thing myself. This seems to be a real stupid "Web 2.0 emperor has no clothes" idea.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

What does it sell?

Presumably NativeClient accelerated apps?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just a second...

Is this really just 5% or is it the current 5% + flat fee as described in:

http://code.google.com/chrome/webstore/docs/pricing.html

That makes a huge difference, for your typical 59p (99cents) app or in-app purchase the 5% + flat fee turns into an over 37% commission.

Plus this is only for the Chrome Web Store, so its a desktop only product which hasn't really proved to be very popular. Google's in-app payments system for Android charges the same 30% as Apple.

4. Redbaron
    FAIL

And if you google for "chrome web store"...

...this message serves as the summary in the search results:

"Sorry, we don't support your browser just yet. You'll need Google Chrome to install apps, extensions and themes.Download Google Chrome."

Guess they didn't add their spider to the list of supported browsers...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Stupid app pricing

What's up the Google setting the minimum price of a Chrome Web Store app at US$1.99?

Most successful paid apps are have been around the 99 cents mark, less than a dollar is usually an instant buy for most people closer to 2 not so much. Especially when what you're buying is nothing more than a website.

Hopefully they'll have a lower tier for in-app purchases otherwise it becomes pretty pointless.

It's almost like Google doesn't really want paid ad-free apps to be successful, how strange ;-)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

price to high to support ads?

Google wants quality apps (not just farting apps), for which the users would happily pay 1.99 USD .

Regarding 'doesn't ... want ... ad-free apps' I am not so sure, because google (adsense) still has not provided an advertising solution for the downloadable apps in the chrome store!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Quality != low price

There's plenty of quality apps priced below 1.99, plus even higher priced ones frequently like to run sales at 99c. That's simply not possible in Google's world.

If Google doesn't want farting apps just put it into the T&Cs:"no farting apps". There's no logic in making such policy via the price, I'm sure there'll still be plenty of fart apps at 1.99.

As for your other paragraph, I'll let Google's own FAQ answer that for you:

"Can I use Google AdSense in my web app? Yes, as Chrome Web Store apps are just web apps."

6. Jerome 0
    FAIL

No evil here

Nice to see Google whole-heartedly supporting the open web. When it suits them.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like