back to article Microsoft's iOS and Android love deepens

If there’s one group Microsoft can’t shower enough love on right now, it’s those building apps for iPhone and Android. Early Windows Phone 7 adopters are another matter. On Monday, Microsoft gave its second gift in two weeks to iOS coders, releasing a toolkit for “easily” building iOS apps that work with its Azure cloud. The …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. ceebee
    Thumb Down

this is precisely why...

I am not yet willing to purchase a Win7 phone. The disaster with the NoDo update shows just how much a mess the update process for Win7 phones has become.

If it is this bad for a simple update or security fix I can imagine how big a disaster the Mango update will be.

2. ArmanX
    Thumb Up

Wow, tough stuff there!

"Hey, if you download patches or upgrades we don't support, you're not going to be able to automatically upgrade them. Meanwhile, if you download patches or updates that are completely supported.... you're still not going to be able to see any updates. Sorry 'bout that."

You tell 'em, Microsoft!

3. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Hacker friendly?

Only when it suits them it seems. if they can sell a few more Kinect units and make some headlines all fine and good.

However Microsoft is actually like everyone other company, and protects it's bottom line. Force WP7 owners to upgrade.... All 10 of them....

4. Muckminded

So, his name is Watson

Certainly, it is a different battleground. But, once again, a "Watson" threatens to supplant humans trying to just get by. I now fear any event that has a "Watson" in the mix. May the Harry Potter and Jeopardy franchises be dipped in tepid bathwater. Hella tepid, yo!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Gates Horns

Poisoning the well

is traditionally done to your =enemies=. So far WP7 has two giant update cockups + a major effort to piss off the hacker community.

Well, now we know what Steve Jobs is doing in his down time: running the WP7 customer relations effort.

6. QI
    WTF?

Stop it you s***d Register

Why is not a story when Google release Chrome for Windows first or Apple release iTunes for Windows. Every commercial company takes decision based on commercial benefits and MS is no different. Now stop putting a negative spin on each and everything MS do.

7. fishman

WP7 dying.

Someone by the name of Pangloss has been tracking the number of users to facebook running the WP7 facebook client. The rate of growth of the client is dropping, and is falling towards 1500 additional users a day. The rate of growth of the usage of the WP7 facebook client collapsed when the MS - Nokia agreement was announced - possibly due to other WP7 vendors cutting their marketing.

8. LJRich
    FAIL

And the little one said "roll over, roll over..."

What annoys me is that Windows Phone 7 is clearly not ready for primetime and they're going to take Nokia down with them when they fail. Nokia's a good company, just misguided of late. They don't deserve to be tainted by Ballmer's dumbphone.

And to top it off, when they cock up a patch (which they said wouldn't happen because they had restricted the OS to only 5 different types of handsets) and the Community tries to help eachother out, they shaft their customers. It's been nice knowing you, Microsoft.

Mine's the one with the Android smartphone in the pocket, cheers.

9. Dr Hotdog
    Thumb Down

Stupid, yet again

Another example of the all too common stupidity of companies trying to discourage mobile phone hacking. Naturally the last thing a company would want to encourage is fans of their devices spending their spare time making said devices work better, for free, and making the improved software available to other enthusiasts. Clearly a nightmare scenario, that...

10. stizzleswick
    WTF?

Well, now we know...

...why MS had to pay Nokia a reported $2bn to actually offer any phones running WP7. Obviously, otherwise there would not have been any takers. *shrug* Here's a wild proposition: why not base a mobile OS on FreeDOS with GEM as GUI? The battery life should be fantastic, and the graphics and operating environment could be pimped to make it contemporary without too much trouble IMHO.

Better yet, why not use a UNIX-derived/POSIX-compliant OS as a basis... -- oh, they already did that...

11. N13L5

@Brandon Watson

Well stop being sluggish with your updates!

Don't you have enough people? Or are they all tied up in endless meetings?

I forget, what were the benefits of using a Microsoft OS over open source?

Nobody I know is all that eager to have Microsoft on a device if there are alternatives with apps...

You guys should really pass out your updates with whipped cream and cherries on top.

It would take a few years of seeing users just being thrilled with your OS and the support experience, before I'd even bother to look at one of your phones. And even then, Samsung is probably always going to beat Nokia's specs by a year or more anyway.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like