back to article Feds raid home of teen fingered in DDoS on Gene Simmons

Federal authorities have raided the home of a suburban Washington family after tracing a crippling attack on the website of Kiss frontman and anti-piracy crusader Gene Simmons to an internet connection there. According to an affidavit filed by FBI Special Agent Scott Love, the distributed denial-of-service attacks on www. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

So... Just another Zombified PC used by others to DDOS?

Here is hoping the kid's PC is just riddled with Spyware, Malware, Trojans and 'Bots. It's the only thing that might help him survive the court case.

Gene.... The reason why there is no "Music Industry" is that the Record Company Moguls haven't had an act worth the powder to blow it to hell for the last 20 years. They can't keep up with the times as far as music distribution is concerned, they had several great chances to beat Apple iTunes and were not far sighted enough to see that downloading was Good, not "Evil".

These "Moguls" are nothing but greedy pigs with no redeemable qualities whatsoever.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Go

No Music Industry

"These ""Moguls"" are nothing but greedy pigs with no redeemable qualities whatsoever."

Further to that, the entire INDUSTRY is one giant cartel run by the Moguls. It's onlys since the Internet that acts have had the opportunity to get their work known without going through one of these pimps/dealers.

As this revolution progresses, these Moguls will be the first against the wall. The artists who embrace new channels will survive (as they always have done). Those that rely on an outdated business model will vanish into obscurity.

Where would we be if the music charts were still calculated on sheet music sales??? Kiss would never have made it.

(btw, Piracy is still theft - we need to advocate a change in business model)

2. Chewy

Not frontman

That'd be Paul Stanley

3. Sir Runcible Spoon

Sir

“they might find their little butts in jail, right next to someone who's been there for years and is looking for a new girl friend.”

So, Mr 'I'm Richer than God and better looking' Simmons, you think that pinging your website more times than is strictly necessary should be punished by anal rape?

You seem to be lacking in perspective.

I mean, LOIC is for newb's, he probably thought it was just a giggle, and I very much doubt that 49k pings in 47 minutes is enough to down your site. Haven't you heard of anti-DDoS firewalls? What do you mean it was all in the hands of your hosting provider? SO WHY AREN'T YOU SUEING THEM YOU RETARD!!!"121!"!!!

~Is it just me, or is this whole - let's sue the pants off anyone with a computer - crap just getting a bit meh?

1. Giles Jones Gold badge
      FAIL

Inverse Robin Hood

Nice game plan Mr Simmons, steal off the poor and give to the rich.

Good luck with that.

1. The Fuzzy Wotnot
        Pint

Hmmm....

What do you mean? That Gene's whole business ethos since he stopped making half decent records with KISS donkey's years ago!

Wasn't Gene the guy who found out that the dollar symbol was not trade marked, bought it and then demanded a cut of every sale of US based Monopoly boards since that point?

I never really liked Ronnie Dio much but he had the measure of Mr Simmons from day one!

1. MJI Silver badge

Ronnie Jame Dio

Was also talented.

RIP

Kiss to me are a joke.

2. Trygve Henriksen

No, 49K pings aren't enough...

That's why it's called a DISTRIBUTED DoS attack.

There were other werps also attacking the site at thesame time.

This is just the first one they've decided to nail to a tree...

And even with an 'anti-DDoS firewall' at the provider, it won't matter much if the flood takes all the usable capacity of the links to the site.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Thumb Up

They can run, they can hide .....

But it looks like they might just end up getting caught...........

2. Sir Runcible Spoon

Sir

@Tryegve

So this young chap was running a DDoS from a single computer was he? wow, that's impressive. Must be L33t skillz or something.

And regarding the anti-DDoS - have you heard of flood defence?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bit Over the Top?

I don't generally condone illegal downloading, but Gene Simmons sounds a lovely man. Maybe we should burn a few Kiss albums.

1. Elmer Phud
      WTF?

Simmons = Gobshite

Simmons is one of the very reasons the 'industry' is moaning.

They fawned over corporate outfits like Kiss who never really had anything to do with music, all that is required is to move product.

Kiss never made records - only product.

2. Da Weezil
      Grenade

The dinosaur spake huh?

Burn Kiss records? ......

But that would mean I'd have to go out and buy some of their dross in the first place in order to have it to burn. and if they were irrelevant to me before I now hate the band and what it stands for.

No Industry? Try some of the reason being that by the standards set in the 60s and 70s (the payola investigations were about chart rigging of a kind that seems normal today) the charts are corrupt and irrelevant to the buying public. I mean how can air play - which is divvied up cosily between the stations and the media companies - be part of a "rating system" that counts the most popular? Lets not get into the hugely overpriced Digital sales (downloads) where the consumer even pays for the delivery mode (internet bandwidth and gets no Physical content and yet is charged close to the cost of a physical product by the cartel that runs music - anyone have any idea why this hasn't been properly investigated? I notice mr painty face has nothing to say about THAT - or is that cos the rip off works in favour of the industry? I wont get into the number of no talents that are out there purely because of good marketing and tech fiddling.... but you get the picture.

Memo to the industry (that means record cos radio stations and chart compliers).

A chart of the most popular music is supposed to reflect the listening publics taste and trends.. not how cozy you are with a radio controller to get some cr*p played ad nauseum. The Charts are worthless when week after week we get "straight in at no1" it has NO meaning... in the past it was a huge acheievment to do that, do you not see how you have devalued the whole industry by your own corruption? You killed your industry and alienated your audience. Well done!

Gene and his painted buddies (who wearing that much make up look like they might be in the market for the rough bit of trade Gene (or should that be Jean??) commented about - wishful thinking Id guess) are no longer current or valid, they are so yesterday - or more accurately last century. They should stick to being a running joke on Family Guy - and - like the record companies - stop trying to rip off the public with old/rehashed/poor quality/plagiarized/auto-tuned crap and put out some decent material which people would buy - especially if it was at a reasonable price. Id say get over yourself honey but then given his comments about the fate of fresh faced teens (thats a disturbing chain of thought he is displaying there) he may enjoy it

The music business needs to stop relying on inflated prices to support its marbled and leather trimmed offices, in the same way that some aging rockers (who were of dubious worth even when they were current) need to understand that they are over/finished/done/out of touch with current music.

5. Mark 65

FBI

Guns drawn for a raid to confiscate the PC of a kid who may have DDoS'd a crappy website? What a pack of wankers.

6. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Wait till they get the PSN hackers....

Anonymous hackers are shitting bricks right now... As when FBI and Homeland Security NOBODY is anonymous..

Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of pricks.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

BS, it won't be the FBI

It'll be the Navy SEALs...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

It's amazing

Back in my day you could train a seal to balance a ball on its nose and now they're piloting stealth helicopters, assassinating bad guys and arresting hackerz.

Animal training is coming on leaps and bounds.

Oh, and @AC 09.03, piracy *is* theft, but we're discussing copyright infringement here, which is not.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

Kiss my grass

It’s easy to laugh at Gene Simmons’ pomposity. But first of all you should laugh at his hair. Then you should laugh at his face, his teeth, his name, his hair again, his singing ability and his grasp of his place in the grand scheme of things.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

The First Rule of DOS is

1. DOS from a compromised host only

2. DOS from a compromised host only

3. DOS from a compromised host only

9. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Pirate

"anti-piracy crusader Gene Simmons"

So why isn't he tacking off the coast of Somalia in an Ivanhoe costume with a papal bull in his sea chest that allows him do some righteous beheading of heathens?

Or is this just supposed to mean that the rants against file sharing?

1. Elmer Phud

Zappa and the Mothers

'We're only in it for the money'

10. Mephistro

WTF?

“they might find their little butts in jail, right next to someone who's been there for years and is looking for a new girl friend.”

This phrase alone tells me all I need to know about Mr. Simmons. A complete and utter douchebag.

11. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Who is downloading Kiss music?

Surely "fresh-faced, freckle-based college kids" aren't the type who would be interested in listening to Simmons work? Only old farts with no taste ever listened to Kiss.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

@Sir Runcible Spoon

much lol can be derived from you're highly accurate and amusing post

13. Gritzwally Philbin
    FAIL

Has-been Hell!

Hmmm. Just fired up my GNU client and did a search on Kiss songs.. Let's see JUST how popular Mr. Simmons' band is..

Yup, it's as I thought. Out of 260 results with the word 'Kiss' I got 27 that are of actual Kiss songs, and removing the duplicates in the list, gets me 19 - and of course, they're only the top-40 hits.

(Chris Brown featuring T-Pain and the song 'Kiss Kiss' comes up over 20 times alone)

I can see why he's so upset. Sucks to realize the only thing keeping one in the spotlight is the cheap coin of teevee celebrity status - 'cos from here where I'm looking in at it - it sure isn't his current songwriting output..

There isn't enough greasepaint OR spandex to help with that.

14. crisis

Adapt or die

blah! what can i say?

The music industry has had plenty of opportunities to adapt to new technologies and they have stubbornly refused to do so.

The obvious thing to do would have been to look at ways of using the new technology to make money rather than throwing money away to fight it. This is a lost cause.

I still buy albums, but now I listen to the majority of my music from internet radio and free music providers.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You'd think Simmons was a musician or something

Oh, that's right, he WAS a musician; if you call dressing up in spandex and black leather and painting your face up to look like a syphilitic goth musicianship.

1. The Fuzzy Wotnot
      Coat

Look here!

I'm no musician and my mates and I do that down at the Pink Pussycat S&M Club every Frid...ermmmm...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Happy

Is that you Phil?

It's P. You know, the guy in the tutu and Doc Martins?

2. MJI Silver badge
      FAIL

NWOBHM laughed at Kiss

We all thought it was a joke band.

We didn't realise they were actually serious.

And I knew people much more talented at song writing and performing than them.

Oh and for comparison I did a search on a friends local band album from the mid to early 80s. And that produced a large number of torrents - gave up when I hit 20.

Yes Mr Simmons you are less popular now than virtually unknown British metal acts from the 80s.

16. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Botnet

I do not think that a hacker launched an attack of this scale from his own home, I would imagine that this person the feds knocked the door down of, just had a botnet installed on his computer they are not uncommonly used within Anonymous.

As to Gene's attitude to downloading music, steal from the poor give to the rich. Good luck with your PR.

Viva La Revolution Anonymous

1. Trygve Henriksen

Attack?

He probably useed the 'LOIC' tool.

(Low Orbit Ion Crapflinger, or something like that)

And if so, the only botnet member was situated between chair and keyboard.

The LOIC tool doesn't make any attempt of hiding the origin of the flood it sends towards a server.

Of course, most 1337 pimply-faced basement dwellers wouldn't have a clue what that means.

17. Peter Murphy

Gene Simmons Shreds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kw5oJoUYTb8

1. MJI Silver badge
      Thumb Down

Where was the shredder?

Was expecting a blender and a doll, just saw a load of cross dressing nutcases.

18. MinionZero
    Big Brother

WTF! ... DOS attack == "federal agents, with guns drawn"

A simple DOS attack doesn't warrant "federal agents, with guns drawn, raided the Lantz home"

What would have happened if the father had heard a noise outside his home and so grabbed a gun before the raiders crashed into his home. There’s a high probability he could have got shot. For what, a DOS attack?!. American government, get a fucking grip on reality!

Also this means that if you live in America and you have some kind of botnet virus, you are then in danger of "federal agents, with guns drawn" raiding your home!

All this to protect some arrogant rich bastard from a few to many pings to his website! ... So send in the state enforcers to punish the peasants back into line! ... WTF!

Sounds exactly like a Police State.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Troll

DDOS apologists

You can't have a bunch of kids running round the internet obliterating online business of sites and people who piss them off, anymore than you can have gangs of vigilantes roaming the streets burning down real-life buildings and offices.

This shits got to stop, so make an example out of the little fucker, if you DDOS a site, you're a criminal, end of.

1. marm
      WTF?

You are a dick

Its called protesting. Gene should stop promoting prision rape and get back to dressing like a deviant mime and making crap music.

Gene, you are also a dick.

2. Mephistro

@ AC Tuesday 10th May 2011 10:15 GMT

Sir, thanks to your enlightened comment you just earned the Gene Simmons Merit Badge, with the legend "Supporting prisoner rape since MMXI" on one side and "Counterculture Inc. - approved by the FBI" on the other.

20. Anonymous Coward
    Terminator

tosspot

Simmons was the girlfriend of the music biz for years, he sold his soul for (not rock and roll, like real musicians) but for cash basing the Kiss image on circus style concerts and fake heavy metal music; the corporate barbie is just bitching cos he's not famous anymore. Gene, in the rock and roll history of fame you're just a sidenote. Get over it and go back to your rocking chair.

21. Martin 66
    Grenade

bye bye fat cats

CD in HMV prior to Bittorrent, Limewire and legitimate MP3 download ? 15.99

CD in HMV now 5.99

Some margin there fat cats eh?

The music industry was overinflated and is now contracting and becoming more efficient, just like lots of other industries have had to, in order to compete (all UK industry, manufacturing globally, Government trying to do this now).

Get over it Gene, its 2011. The golden era of record labels taking stars out on their corporate credit cards is over ! Back in the real world now, like everyone else.

22. MinionZero
    WTF?

@"you're a criminal, end of."

@"if you DDOS a site, you're a criminal, end of."

There's a fundamental flaw in your narrow minded thinking. What if they don't know they are taking part in a DOS attack?

By your logic, people will suffer police state harassment if they just have some kind of botnet virus. So like I said in my other post, "if you live in America and you have some kind of botnet virus, you are then in danger of "federal agents, with guns drawn" raiding your home!" ... So according to you its ok that people suffer this kind of Police State harassment and authoritarian bullying even if they turn out to be innocent, but then according to you, "you're a criminal, end of" ... WTF kind of narrow minded thinking is that! ... try showing some empathy instead of promoting arrogant bullying by state officials.

Also get a grip, its just a website being pinged to many times, so that doesn't warrant federal agents raiding a home with guns drawn! (If Gene Simmons lawyers had even just sent them a bill for excessive bandwidth, that would be extremely over the top for just a website being pinged to many times, but sending in state gunmen crashing into their home, WTF kind of police state do you want us all to live in (fear of)!

Also in the case of this very arrogant Gene Simmons, it would serve him to listen to peoples anger against him. But no, just like all arrogant Narcissists, they arrogantly refuse to have any empathy for anyone else and want to promote arrogant bullying of other people.

Oh hang on, there's a pattern to the desire for arrogant authoritarian bullying in your post. What a surprise you would promote a similar behaviour as Gene Simmons. Thankfully most people don't want to live in an endlessly controlled Police State the way you evidently do.

23. Anonymous Coward
    Heart

@MinionZero

I was almost going to rage until seeing the troll icon too.

1. MinionZero
      Big Brother

@AC:

@"I was almost going to rage until seeing the troll icon too"

First off, its not raging its more than valid to comment on the grotesquely over the top way the American Police State is behaving in this news and it literally is a Police State with this kind of state harassment and authoritarian bullying behaviour. I do not want to live in a Police State and that I take very seriously and I'm prepared to stand up to and oppose that level of state control.

Also a troll icon isn't an automatic get out of jail card for when someone says something so totally ridiculous as that authoritarian loving AC said.

Also as you are AC as well, for all we know, you could even be that AC commenter getting some usual troll joy out of now downplaying my comments as raging. (The way you word it, its clearly is a sly way to put me down, a good warning sign of the endlessly sly mind games so loved by trolls, so there is a good chance you are that same AC). Trolls enjoy playing mind games, making themselves feel they get attention for their actions and some even delight in being able to manipulate others with their twisted comments that prompt a response and so win them extra attention. They delight in their "power" to manipulate and the "power" to get attention. Warning signs of both NPD + HPD behaviour.

In many ways this Gene Simmons is playing that very same troll game as well. All the self promotion helps him stay high profile which will help him sell more and he knows it. He is playing the media for attention and very probably loving being the centre of attention. He is getting attention from his controversial comments and he very clearly is Narcissistic, so he really will be loving playing the media for more attention. So he is combining strong warning signs of both a Histrionic Personality Disorder with a Narcissistic Personality Disorder.

Its people like that who have to be opposed in society or they will twist this world into an abusive nightmare world for the rest of us, just as they abuse others around them with their endlessly attention seeking and bullying self interested ways. These people are the enemy of society, but there's a minority of very outspoken people in society who share this twisted way of thinking and behaving and so they support that twisted kind of society. Their manipulative mind games have to be opposed.

I do not want to live in an authoritarian world and I'm prepared to stand up and fight back against it to fight for freedom and I'm not alone. Look what's happening around the world, many people have had enough of the twisted societies created to serve our sly & manipulative rich and powerful leaders. Societies that we are all force to live in (and so many generations have been forced to live in). All because our leaders want to play their endlessly corrupting manipulative sly ways against us all, all so they can gain and fuck over all of us. This Gene Simmons is one of them and I'm sick of his kind manipulatively treating most people like scum they can abuse for their gain and I'm not alone. More and more people have had enough of what is happening and the Internet is helping us to see what is happening and why more than ever before. Is it any wonder ever more people are angry with people like Gene Simmons.

24. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Time to face the music

I'm no fan of Gene Simmons but DDoS and hacking are crimes. Anonymous is just setting them selves up for more prison time with their promotion of criminal acts.

25. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

What a shame

I used to like Metallica, until they got greedy. Now I can't stand their music because every time I hear it I'm reminded of the fact that they're greedy fucking pigs. So now Kiss, a band I also liked since childhood, also goes down the gurgler. Alright Mr Simmons - any Kiss MP3s I had on my system are now deleted, and I will never listen to your music again. Thanks for fucking my childhood memories you greedy, selfish fucking pig.

1. Jason DePriest

KISS my grits

Really? KISS has had maybe two or three songs worth listening to that I can remember.

It was always about the glam-show and Gene's ridiculously long tongue. It was entertainment in the strain of GWAR before GWAR took it to the next level. It was marketing and product placement. It was The Monkees.

But great music? Maybe just a little.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like