back to article HP's new EVA: The big reveal

HP has told us all that the EVA is morphing into the P6000. El Reg can reveal a little more about this coming P6000 line. There will be, we understand, two new models. Both will support 2.5-inch SAS disk drives and Fibre Channel (FC) only, or a mix of FC and 1GbitE or 10GbitE iSCSI ports The P6300 EVA takes over from the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. IO-IO
    Boffin

swansong

This is the EVA's swansong.

Don't hold your breath for any developments after this (long overdue) model.

The same software and reliability issues have plagued the EVA since it first came into being.

Bolting more features to the device is unlikely to make it any faster nor reliable.

Such a pity that years of underinvestment religated what was a revolutionary device to complete irrelevance.

1. Fuzz

really?

I only have very limited experience with EVA but our 4100 has run perfectly without ever throwing an error from installation more than 2 years ago.

1. IO-IO
        Megaphone

lucky you

Put it under load for a period of time, throw in a disk failure and see what happens.

Forgotten how many EVA's I've replaced that have grown beyond their usefulness.

There is a reason that many customers have switched storage vendors after starting with an EVA, often to 3PAR - which HP incidentally aqcuired.

Strange that.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

IO-IO NO!

Well your experience is pretty contrary to mine and most peoples. I've seen EVA's grow beyond their usefulness but that is because they have carried on being used for years beyond their original intention. The EVA has suffered from a lack of fancy new features due to underdevelopment, that is sure, but performance and reliability it has most definitely had! It was ground breaking when it came out but not a lot has happened since. The EVA has been a boring array - it does what it does very well, it just doesn't do anything all that clever. These announcements bring it in line with other arrays but don't take it beyond them in terms of functionality. But I'd expect a SAS based EVA to offer great price performance and for customers wanting something a bit more snazzy then HP have 3PAR which is by far the best array on the market!

And there have not been many customers switch from EVA to 3PAR - prior to the acquisition there had been 1! There had been a hell of a lot of EMC customers switch though!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yawn

Nothing interesting here.

The dying echoes of a failing platform.

3. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Dell

I take any Dell storage over HP storage at any time. And I am HP storage certified. It is faster, cheaper (if you consider all features it has) and in my experience it has a MUCH better support.

HP should stick to printers.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Eh no.

They suck at printers now too.....

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like