back to article World 3D TV sales to jump in 2011

World shipments of 3D TVs will jump 463 per cent this year, market watcher IHS iSuppli has forecast, as TV makers tone done their feverish promotion of the technology. Releasing cheaper sets is helping too, it will surprise no one to learn. Some 23.4m 3D TVs will ship this year, up from 4.2m in 2010, iSuppli reckons. Global …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Prediced in 2010 too.

Was this a copy and paste or rework?

http://www.reghardware.com/2010/05/14/displaybank_3d_tv_forecast/

They prediced 3% of sales in 2010 would be 3d, and take up has been slow to say the least.

Only way 3D take up will significantly increase is if it's sold as standard in all sets not as add on, theres not enough 3d content to justify the extra cost at the moment for most people. We bought a 42'' TV in 2008, no way are we replacing it anytime short of 2013 as the John Lewise warranty covers it that long, and I fully expect it to last beyond that.

2. P. Pod

Programmes

I would prefer to have decent programmes in 2D rather than the same old rubbish tarted up with 3D.

3. CynicalOptimist
    Alien

Next Generation?

I have no need for a 3D tellie because the only programme I watch is Star Trek: The Next Generation on DVD (indeed, even bog-standard widescreen is unnecessary too). Some may consider it ironic that I shun new technology because of my obsession with the past's vision of the future.

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

wow

and to think that some people complain this site is too full of nerds!

4. Tom 35

Buying 3D

I expect 90% of the people who do buy a 3D TV will only be doing so because it came "free" with the model they wanted. 9% will be gamers. Almost no one is going to go out and buy a new TV just to have 3D TV.

5. Robert E A Harvey
    Stop

Doris Stokes

"159.2 million in 2015, the research firm said", befiore asking if there was anyone here called Arthur.

How many times do we have to debunk these charlatans?

6. The Fuzzy Wotnot
    Happy

Ha ha!

All those places that flogged us extended 3-5 year warranties on our new 42" LCD TVs have stuffed the market for themselves!

I only bought a new 42" about 2 years ago and it has another 2 years to run on the replace-all cover, so it's staying put!

7. Peter Clarke 1
    Alert

More research needed

Would be interesting to know how many 3D TV purchasers have any intention (short and long term) of using this capablity.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

ummmm. incorrect abbreviations perhaps

"Some 23.4m 3D TVs will ship this year, up from 4.2m in 2010, iSuppli reckons."

I think "M" is the abbreviation for million, and "m" is for meter. So where can I get not only a 23.4 meter 3D tv, but a 25 meter living room wall on which to mount it.

9. Elsie
    WTF?

Lol at the expected increased sales

There isn't enough HD content being broadcast to warrant the huge number of HD TV sets being sold. The reason so many sets are sold is because it's very hard to buy anything other than a HD TV. More manufacturers are jumping on the 3D bandwagon and making 3D the standard so it means that they'll sell more 3D TV's, despite the fact there is a:

A) Sweet FA to watch on them

and

B) Most people I know couldn't give a 4X about wearing glasses and 3D

My local cinema manager admitted to me last week that despite their being more screens showing Thor in 3D, the 2D showings had sold more seats. I'll admit that I simpy can't 'see' 3D in movies or on TV, no matter what glasses I wear or where I sit I see a blurred or ghost images and a screaming headache. I'm not the only one that has this issue and so I'll never go to see a 3D movie or buy a TV with functionallity I'll never use.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like