back to article Sccope best price finder

I decided to avoid last week's royal rave-up by engaging in some retail therapy. We’ve seen a number of shopping-related apps recently, but this price-comparison app is the one I've found most useful when I’m in shopping mode. Sccope    Sccope Sccope helps you compare prices online and on the high street Available as an …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. bitmap animal
    Thumb Down

Not good for the retailer

The problem I have with this kind of application is you are using the facilities of the shop to browse and look at items then seeing if you can buy it cheaper elsewhere. Not just from another shop around the corner, as you would do in Tottenham Court Road for those Londoners, but from companies that have a different business model who don't need to pay for the expensive high street front and the staff to help you.

If you want to use their 'value-added' services then at least have the decency to help them continue to provide that service by spending your money with them.

(It does look like quite a nice app though, I just have moral feelings about it's use)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Pint

That makes no sense

By that logic you must buy everything you want from the first shop you see it in. No matter what price it is. That's insane. If you want to waste your money to prop up a business which benefits people you don't know, you knock yourself out.

2. Tom 38
      Stop

Bricks & mortar vs web

When I'm in the popular Tottenham Court Road tech-nirvana that is YoYoTech, I often browse, then order it online through their website on my phone.

Given that everything in the shop is an extra 15% on their web prices, it's only mugs that pay shop price.

1. euauikapaui

TCR - you have to haggle

Do you mean to tell me you've even considered paying sticker price in TCR electronics shops? If you're paying in cash, you can get that 15% off. You just have to ask for it.

1. Tom 38

Haggling on TCR?

For 'ticket' items like TVs, maybe, but last time I haggled over component prices I got duff hardware. Yoyotech won't haggle, even for cash - I've tried, repeatedly..

2. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

You've got to buy online!

As much as I enjoying looking in-store and seeing the product in the flesh, you can always get it cheaper online – and why shouldn't I?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: You've got to buy online!

It's like my mum who proudly said how smart she was to browse the books at her local Borders bookshop but then bought them from Amazaon, and then complained bitterly when Borders went bust.

If you like having your local high street full of boarded up shops and charity shops and not having anywhere local to go if you need to buy something in a hurry then absolutely, go for it, and do all your shopping online.

1. crigga84
        Megaphone

I will

Boarded up shops don't concern me. We pay a fortune already in this country. I want to save money. End of conversation.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sccope is really handy

I bought a router from PC World and scanned it in the shop. This showed it to be 20 quid cheaper elsewhere so PC World price matched it at the checkout. It's also handy if you're looking for X and want to find all the suppliers of X and their prices well in advance of getting the wallet out.

4. JB

Try before you buy

Gong online and using these apps to find the best prices, read customer reviews, etc, is all well and good, but what if you want to handle the merchandise, so to speak? I'm in the market for a tablet computer, was mulling over an ipad, but want to use one for a bit before I make a decision. Even if I use an app to tell me where I can get one for £150 less, or spending hours reading Amazon customer reviews, I still don't know if it's something I really want.

It will be a sad daywhen bricks and mortar stores disappear, what will we do to fill our lunch hour?

1. Stuart Archer
      Joke

Snark

Read the Reg of course!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like