back to article Apple iPad 3 to sport 3D screen a 'dead cert'

If claims that Apple's next iPad will sport a 2048 x 1536 display containing four times as many pixels as the current one stretched credibility, one rumour, that successor to the iPad 2 will incorporate a glasses-free 3D screen, takes it to breaking point. The claim comes from an alleged Hollywood insider who told RCR Wireless …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Having seen the 3DS...

I wouldn't buy one if it was.

1. Bill Fresher
      Flame

3D

I have a 3DS and find the 3D effect comfortable and enjoyable.... however it seems that those of my friends who have bad eyesight are the ones that don't like it, but then they have trouble seeing 'real life' 3D.

Perhaps a visit to the optician is in order?

1. Francis Boyle Silver badge

Don't you mean

People are just looking at it wrong.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I do wear glasses...

But I don't seem to get on with any 3d films and whatnot. Dunno why, my glasses are pretty new.

3. Jason Hall

The title is required, and must contain letters and/or digits.

My eyesight is fine - had it checked recently (no need for glasses etc.) and yet all the 3d movies I have seen give me headaches.

I haven't had chance to play with a 3ds yet, so will see how that affects/effects me then.

2. Andrew Garrard

Yes, the iPad design was dictated by Hollywood

That's why, like every other tablet on the market, Apple went for a widescreen aspect ratio and a screen resolution that's a pixel count fit for either standard def content (800-ish x 480) or high def content (1280x720-ish or 1920x1080-ish).

Oh, wait, no they didn't. They concentrated on making it a better web browsing and app device.

(I could believe they'll double the resolution, and I'd be very glad to be wrong in thinking it unlikely. I could believe they'd use the extra resolution to consider going glasses-free 3D for gaming, although I suspect they're watching 3DS sales quite closely. Whether Apple's priority is playing 1920x1080 content in a small box on a doubled-resolution iPad screen IN 3D, I doubt.)

3. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Mole

Does the mole also think Osama is with Obama in the White House discussing last week's Royal Wedding?

3D iPAD indeed. Apple have a problem with Blu Ray (no idea why) so this is a complete joke.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

RE: BluRay

Their issue isn't with the technology per se (although going down the route of another optical storage system is seen as fruitless, no pun intended), the "world of pain" that Jobs famously attributed to the technology is found in Sony's licensing.

4. Individual #6/42
    Flame

No portrait mode presumably

Highly suspect this is tosh.

5. leeeeeb

Glasses free

The iPad can be held at any angle, landscape or portrait. That of course isn't compatible with the current display technologies that do 3D without glasses.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Welcome

Here's what Apple should do

They should make the screen literally 3d by turning the iPad into an iCube, making the screen a 9 inch cube of glass glued onto the iPad chassis. That would be so cool.

7. envmod

no

fuck 3D. it's shit.

8. bex

won't happen

the screen would be expensive

if the 3ds is anything to go by it would kill the battery life (tone of the ipads strongest points)

who the hell wants it

9. JDX Gold badge

Apple to "invent" glasses-free 3D

It would at least push iPad to be way out there compared to competitors, like the days of iPad1.

I quite like the 3DS, or rather I'm really impressed it works but I don't really want one. On a 40" TV, sure.

10. Ian Michael Gumby
    Boffin

You're missing the point...

Apple is going for the higher res screen.

If they get it, they have the video drivers capable of using the screen, then you could write a 3D app for the device.

Well maybe not you, but the makers of the video controller/GPU could and put the drivers on the device so that you or Hollywood could make 3D content.

I agree. I don't want it. Yet when I buy my next TV, I'll end up buying a 3D TV. Why? Because it has the resolution and features that I want. I can always ignore and never use the 3D, but Hollywood marketing twits will still count me in their 3D numbers and push for more content.

I definitely want the higher res screen.

11. I am the Walrus
    WTF?

Oh come on!

Seriously! People think the next iPad will be 3D enabled? Realy! Obviously Apple will evaluate the Nintento 3DS and see how the general public respond to it. Then the'll look at it's economical impact on the price of the next iPhone then once it's released there it'll be implemented in the next iPad! Is'nt this the logical process?

12. Jean-Paul

Don't think it is true...

But if it was I like it. I really do like the 3DS and when you adjust it with the slider for your eyes and comfort level it is brilliant.

Glasses free 3D, auto switch to 2D when in portrait mode for reviewing those work documents and contract will be fantastic. Also stereo cameras on the back please, the 3DS has finally got AR to a level where it is fun and useful.

Then finish it off with a pico projector as well please.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

for the love of god no

Im getting dangerously close to getting one of these damn things, (kinda holding out for the next gen) the last thing i need is for them to come along and ruin the next one, and leave me not wanting any of them.

(might be what the wallet needs though)

14. Rory Wilson

iPad Head Tracking

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBQQEcfkHoE

15. Iain 4
    WTF?

Why would Apple even consider this?

If you're going to be an idiot, and optimise the iPad for watching films, while at the same time ruining it for the kind of applications it excels at, you'd start by making the screen aspect ratio wider, not use 3D.

Fortunately, Apple aren't idiots.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@Iain

"Fortunately, Apple aren't idiots."

--> Fortunately, Apple *sometimes* aren't idiots.

16. J. Cook Silver badge
    Joke

Wot's this guy smoking?

And why is he not sharing?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like