back to article EA buys Aussie game studio

Electronics Arts has swooped on Melbourne-based mobile gaming developer Firemint for a reported estimate of somewhere between US$20-40 million. Founded in 1999 the Australian developer is the creator of mobile game hit “Flight Control” and driving game, "Real Racing," which is an iPhone and iPad favourite. Once the deal is …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Head
    Thumb Down

Hmmm

20 to 40 mil is a pretty measly sum for a successful gaming company in Aus, EA got a bit of a bargain there.

And now everyone can look forward to bugged, incomplete games from them now. Yay!

1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge
      Grenade

IT's Elementary Watson and IBM Code Crack for NEUKlearer Information Release.

"And now everyone can look forward to bugged, incomplete games from them now. Yay!" ... Head Posted Thursday 5th May 2011 01:17 GMT

Hmmm ....... and how else, Head, do you imagine your future wishes are catered for, if not via the use of bugged, incomplete games.

In days of yore, was the artificial hare of a cry, "It's the economy, stupid " . That has been further refined and concentrated in research for development to the much stronger and more potent "It's all in the narrative dummy"

And a "narrative dummy"? Well, that would be a real virtual comforter.

2. Goat Jam
    Unhappy

Thoughts

1) You missed and opportunity to use the term "borgs"

2) There will likely be a lot of devs at Firefly who are extremely nervous at the prospect of becoming EA worker drones.

3. foo_bar_baz
    Pint

Aussie game developers

I could only name Melbourne House. Showing my age.

On topic: Good on you, mate!

4. sT0rNG b4R3 duRiD
    Unhappy

GG Firemint...

Be prepared for high level interference, staff layoffs, and all sorts of badness.

EA taints everything it touches.

5. Tony Paulazzo

EA swallows companies whole

<the company and its 60 strong staff would be staying in Melbourne with “business as usual”. While refraining from outlining plans he said that the deal “can free us up a lot to focus on the creative stuff that really matters and they can provide essential resources to help us build better games.>

Just like previous successful companies that EA bought, Bullfrog and Origin. Both Peter Molyneux and Richard Garriot left after their companies were dissolved into the parent company, after parroting pretty much that same speech.

6. Jay 2
    Thumb Down

EA = Touch of death

I love Flight Control, but I shudder to think what EA are going to do...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like