back to article Microsoft maps WinPhone 7 path for iPhone coders

Microsoft is again reaching out to iPhone application developers, this time trying to siphon off some of the Jobisian magic juice for Windows Phone 7. The company has released an API mapping tool that it has promised will help developers to code their exiting iPhone applications to work on Windows Phone 7. "iPhone developers …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. a_been
    Paris Hilton

Just wondering

Has Microsoft started paying developers yet? I remember last year they said they would start paying in February/March but i don't recall reading anything about them starting. That did seem a bit boneheaded though to be fair "come work promoting our platform and sometime in the future we will get around to paying you the money people have given us for your app" is certainly innovative.

*Paris becouse she's good at fucking up (down, left & right) as well

2. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

2 years in

"Two years into Microsoft's rebooted mobile effort, however, Microsoft has still got a long way to go to convince Apple and even Android fabois to spend some time on Windows."

Let's be fair: the OS has only been available to the public for 7 months, and the development tools for a year. How do you get two years from that?

3. Giles Jones Gold badge

LOL

It's not the API's you need to worry about, it's the fact that the iOS application is written in Objective C and on the WinPho7 it will be in C# or VB.

Has anyone ever found a code conversion tool that has been worth using?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Has anyone ever found a code conversion tool that has been worth using?"

It's called a brain.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

LOL #2

"One of the biggest reasons developers aren't picking Windows Phone 7 is..." that consumers aren't either.

1. Jim Coleman
      Happy

Yeah but...

The WP7 appstore is the fastest-growing appstore, it has hit 15,000 apps faster than both iPhone and Android did. In a couple more months it will be bigger than the Blackberry appstore.

So I think developers must be developing for it, don't you? WP7 doesn't even have the full complement of APIs yet, they'll come with Mango later this year, and then the appstore will REALLY go bonkers.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Development Win 7 mobile "speed"...

Yeee that's why Nokia is so "Happy" ;) Amazing development model... Did they managed to update the updater of the update system.. ? When all windows 7 mobile phones manufatures drivers certifications will be accepted Win 7 mobile phone will qualify for museum... Now you need windows 8 mobile as tablet market is lost for M$. Why all those delays with Windows 7 mobile updates ? Is it a copy and paste there already ?

Good luck with your optimism - ask Nokia and get closer to the ground.

5. OffBeatMammal

give WP7 a try - you'll like it

I was a cynical, bitter, disappointed Windows Mobile user.

I'd spent a lot of money over the years on various devices - from when they were ground breaking (OTA sync with Exchange allowed me, as a freelancer, to be more nimble than my competition) to where they lost the plot and didn't see the iPhone wave.

I decided that was it, I was going to jump ship and try something else - and got an Android... and my experience there is apps crash, it reboots itself daily or freezes randomly.

so I got an HD7 and it's a very different experience to what came before from MS and also the Android (and iPhone) offerings. it's fast, reliable and actually has a great selection of apps already. Sure, it's a 1.0 product and there are some corners than need smoothing off but the update last month helped and Mango update if it turns up before Christmas (though I'd like to see it for the summer) looks like it'll fix a lot of the other issues for users and developers according to the presentations at MIX

Sure, there are not 1000 fart apps... but there are some great games, useful productivity apps and great integration with Exchange (apart from no tasks... but that seems common on all three contenders) ... I've even ended up getting one for both my wife and daughter and they've very happy with the switch

1. Zephyrus Spacebat
      Linux

Silly phone OSs, bugs are for frogs!

"and my experience there is apps crash, it reboots itself daily or freezes randomly."

I've never seen an Android reboot itself, and only ever once seen an app "crash" (force close requiring). What phone did you have? Was it running Froyo/Gingerbread? If not, there's your problem, really - truth be told, 2.2 is a whole lot more stabler than 2.1 on my Desire, and about twice as good as my old JB'd iP3GS (ahh, tethered jailbreaks...).

Otherwise, I think you need to choose some better apps. Android is like anything - you still get your utter junk apps done by cruddy devs... and I'm hoping I don't end up being one of those, heh. :)

1. Jim Coleman
        Flame

LOL

LOL at Android fanboys. "If your Android phone crashes and freezes, it's coz you've got the wrong model. No wait, it's coz you've got the wrong version of the OS. No wait, it's coz you've bought shite apps coz the marketplace isn't vetted."

Gordon H. Bennett Esq.! You guys should listen to yourselves.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Gates Horns

Does it do pricing too?

As a WP7 user myself I am wondering if the conversion tool also automates the process of multiplying the iPhone app price by a factor of four or five, for games in particular.

1. Jim Coleman
      Flame

heh

There's a reason iPhone apps are cheap.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like