back to article Huawei smacks ZTE with patent and trademark lawsuits

Huawei has launched patent and trademark litigation against ZTE in Germany, France and Hungary alleging that its competitor has been selling kit bearing Huawei's logo as well as using its technology. Huawei claims that ZTE has been sticking its trademark on some data cards, as well as infringing various patents including those …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Ashton Black

..and so it goes

Anyone else bored of the X sues Y over IP stories? It seems to be normal business practice now.

1. Turtle_Fan

Yes, very...

And the funniest thing is how little ever seems to come out of those.

How many years have apple and nokia been at it and yet we've still to see any outcome (caveat emptor: If I've missed it, pls point me to a source).

1. JimC

>see any outcome

I believe that the almost inevitable result of these contractual disputes is that, after a lot of public posturing and maybe even sabre rattling in court, they eventually come to a quiet out of court setllement...

2. BristolBachelor Gold badge

Clarification please

Is this a case of ZTE making stuff and sticking Huawei's mark on it to rip people off, or is it a case of ZTE buying HUAWEI stuff and selling it as HUAWEI stuff?

If it is the former then Huawei should rightly crush ZTE to dust. If it is the latter, then Huawi can burn in hell along with Levis, Sony and other companies that say shops can only sell their goods with enormous mark-ups on.

3. Mage Silver badge
    Pirate

But but

Chinese suing Chinese?

Bit like a Scorpion trying to sting it's self. Maybe they are trying to prove how "free market" and "not run by the the Government" they are.

1. Rob Dobs
      Unhappy

Different

@ Ashton: This is not the normal X sues Y company.

@ Mage: Good point, but me thinks this is a more unintentional display of the multiple power lords that hold a loose shared control over the country.

My own $.02: Talk about hypocrisy: Huawei came to power power by blatantly stealing US and other countries technology, and the years later settling up (still under the protection of China, (whom we known will do nothing to stop crimes by their people on other countries) They got steal technology for pennies on the dollar, and now they don't like someone doing it to them.

Screw Huawei, Screw ZTE and Screw China. I am still doing my best to boycot Chinese goods until they stop conducting military hacking campaigns against the US and world. You can steal and cheat your neighbor and not expect war to result someday.

4. Lars Silver badge
    Happy

Lucky us

When US companies want to fight each other they ask for help from the EU and now the Chinese

do the same.

5. Sam Liddicott

no don't

ZTE are screwing HTC who are screwing their customers, so we like ZTE!

6. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

So Huawei DO care about copyright? (but not mine)

I'm glad Huawei care about copyright. Perhaps they will soon stop sending their HuaweiSymantec/TalkTalk bot to my website to make unlicensed copies of my website content and then exploit them for their own commercial purposes, contrary to the Copyright Designs and Patents Act? They know they don't have my consent but they don't care. Nor do the police. But that's what you get for living in the UK, where such things are not taken seriously by law enforcement.

1. Dino Saur
      Stop

Just a little pedantic ...

Huawei are an equipment supplier, so really they are not sending a bot to your website. That'll be that UK company, TalkTalk, who've decided to act contrary to the laws you quote. So your comment about Huawei is targeted at the the wrong company. At the moment it is not generally illegal to supply technology which could be used for snooping on others, rather it is the snooping which is the naughty part.

Second point is that HuaweiSymantec are a joint venture, but I didn't see your complaint about the US parent company, Symantec. They are just as responsible for the technology used to harvest your web content.

This is like the arms industry - do you complain about the people who make the weapons or the people who use them? It's a mucky business all round.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like