back to article Google Docs app lands on Android

Google has released a new Google Docs application for its Android mobile operating system, hoping to facilitate both the editing and sharing of documents via its online word processing service. Now available from the Android Market, the app lets you search for and open files stored across your Google account, and it offers …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. jsg
    Megaphone

Finally!

It's about damn time!

2. ArmanX
    Thumb Up

About time!

This has been far too long in coming... even the ancient Windows CE has Word Mobile; the old Palm phones even had a halfway decent document viewer. Android... didn't. Until now, that is. Here's to hoping it's a decent document viewer/editor...

3. Asgard
    Big Brother

@"Offline access not included"

They wouldn't give offline access, as we may do something offline (like write a letter to a friend offline) that they then can't spy on what we say. They have got to find a way to get spying built into the apps somehow.

1. Little Poppet
      Thumb Up

Google Secrets

ha, ha,

too true. too true.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just tried it

It 's a complete piece of shit. Going back to QuickOffice.

Why did they even release it...

1. scarshapedstar
      Jobs Horns

Agreed

Worst app of all time, and I include viruses in that statement. I don't even need to explain how awful it is. I am buying an iPhone as I speak.

2. Pedro Mendosa

Please Expand on Your Comment...

...what's so bad?

1. Jolyon

What's so bad

Nothing that I have found so far. It's not exactly rapid but it does what you'd expect, looks fine and is pretty straightforward to navigate.

Would be more useful with offline editing, of course, but even as is this looks like an app I'll hang on to.

5. MrcX
    WTF?

apppub

The Register now officially acting as a publicity engine for Google's Android platform. Will we see a post for every new app released for it? Just wondering how far Google's influence reaches.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Heart

The Register - Sponsored by Google

It had to happen someday! lol! More and more sheep are falling for Google's new found 'open source' credentials.

And why not? Ars and Endgadget worship at the feet of Apple, and now, The Register gorges on Google.

2. umacf24

Blimey!

That's a bit much.

Android Docs is newsy because it's been a very conspicuous absence for a long time -- Google have a phone OS, Google have a cloud office platform and they DIDN'T work together. Now they do (not that it'll make any difference to me on 1.7.)

3. Anonymous Coward
      WTF?

WTF?

eh? you read The Register for long? If so, you'd know that they were mainly Apple fanbois (I'll even use their term here ;-) ) - did you not see the iOS App of the week? The continual dripping of pointless Apple news (iPhone 4 now in white...ho hum). Theres little time or love for Android - or google - check the archives for their rather bitter rebuke of google - chocolate factory :-)

6. Patrick O'Reilly

webApp

its a native wrap of their webapp

7. Little Poppet
    FAIL

So what?

Who cares anyway...

It's not Office Web Apps...

:0

8. Jim 48
    Unhappy

letters and/or digits.

Apparently it's not available for my T-Mobile Pulse running a custom 2.1 ROM

9. KJB
    Thumb Up

OCR Recognition

They've done a great job with the OCR recognition, took a blurry image of some small italic text from a text book next to me and it got around 97% of it all correct; the only bits it fell down on were some special characters which were formatted weirdly.

Great for snapping shots of documents to come back to later on your computer; who does word processing on a mobile anyways?!

10. Ben Rosenthal
    Paris Hilton

yeah reg

stop with all this geeky android gubbins and find a Paris Hilton or aspirational lifestyle product angle FFS >.<

excellent news, although the third party app I've been using the past year was good enough, this is one I've been waiting on for some time.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Tis funny, there seem to be two kinds of posters

1) Rabid anti-apple posters. These people post mainly on Apple news stories

2) Rabid anti-google posters. These people post mainly on Android news stories.

Comedy. Gold. Mine.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yeah? What's so funny about it?

Can't see the comedy side of it TBH. Just fills the comments with junk.

1. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Yeah? What's so funny about it?

I have seen only trace elements of comedy in any comments here for the last three years.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Absolutely

I would even go as far as making use of Google's own creative approach to copyrights and say:

El Reg's commenters are described as mindlessly bureaucratic, aggressive, having "as much sex appeal as a road accident" and the writers of "the third worst comments in the universe".

The second is of course Engadget's, who make an "Ode to a Small Lump of Green Putty I Found in My Armpit One Midsummer Morning" seem like a research article for Nature by comparison, or of course the worse of them all are the comments in Gizmodo from which I can't even cite examples lest I'd have to kill myself.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like