back to article Council forks out £160m: The last of the schools deal cash

A north-west council has awarded one of the last contracts under the BSF school building programme. The contract includes ICT services. Halton Borough Council has awarded a 15-year Building Schools for the Future (BSF) contract to HTP LEP for work including computer-related services and the installation of telecommunications …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

Poor Poor Schools, Lucky RM

RM e-learning platform services £4 million, lucky lucky RM, poor poor schools. Just when a lot of schools seem to be dropping the RM learning platform, without so much as a struggle from RM or it's sales team,.

Though perhaps it's the "new" one, or the promise that it will be better soon , really really honest, "lots of other schools have no problem with speed", new version soon etc...

1. MrT

Yup...

... read that and though "Moodle" **

And with the £4.4 million change from the £4.4 million *one-year* budget there'd be enough for a few good techs and content developers. I've used Moodle to support learners who were not welcome in any school and were being given the cold shoulder by admissions staff - it works well, but solid tech support is needed.

**other proper elearning platforms do exist... and they don't need sneaky 'platform upgrades' at great expense to support newer versions of Windows etc.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Did I read that right?

A fifteen year contract. Even rail service franchises in the UK are only stitched up for a few years at a time.

1. A Non e-mouse Silver badge

Yes you did

To be fair, the article says the contract includes construction work. You need a reasonable length of time to recoup your investment in buildings.

The trains are different, I believe, because Virgin, et al., don't own the trains. They lease them from another company.

3. Tom 7

My kids primary school

has to have a 20M bidirectional connection for some reason

Their use would be adequately catered for by a 512k line that would be unused for 75% of the time.

4. dogged
    Thumb Down

Corpspeke

What a quote - "The development of a learning platform must be part of a planned strategy to embed ICT and e-learning in schools culture"

My bullshit-o-meter just went off the scale.

This topic is closed for new posts.