back to article Sony shows MacBook Air-like Vaio notebook

Sony's announcement that it is bringing a pair of Android 3.0 tablets to market this autumn was accompanied - quietly, on the side - by a sneak peek at how it envisages its next slimline notebooks and netbooks will look. The Japanese giant didn't say much about the machines' specs - it did nothing, in fact, beyond flash …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

It's Sony, Crippled Stereo Mix Record

No thanks Sony, you cripple stereo mix record so you are off my shopping list.

2. hexx

macbook air like?

not even close to air

3. a53
    Thumb Down

Huh?

If that's anything like the Air, I\'d better start learning to speak Dutch!

1. dogged
      Jobs Horns

Let me explain

If it's a nice design then SURELY it must be a copy of an Apple product.

Do you see? Do you?

4. Mark .

Can we not get through a single tech article without the obligitary Apple comparison?

I mean, I would criticise comparing tablets to the Ipad, even if it is currently the market leader, on the grounds that articles about Apple's Iphone don't get compared to market leader Nokia, and Apple's Macs don't get compared to market leader Windows.

Yet here we have Windows PCs still being compared to ... Apple.

It's not "MacBook Air" like anymore than it's "laptop PC like".

5. Muckminded
    Thumb Down

Now with +5 graininess

And airbrushed glow effects from the 1970s.

Not even knowing the specs, I overflow with loathing for them.

I'm like that.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

Air?

Oh I see as in hot-air escaping out of arse!

Sony are just full of it! Unless they've kidnapped some of Mr Ives' workmates from Cuppertino in the dead of night, Sony you ain't even close boys!

7. Jacqui

Sony and android

Evidently thier latest tablet is running android. This suggests how G may have got pushed into not open sourceing v3 of droid - a sony led consortium of handset makers pushing the "closed source" agenda.

8. This post has been deleted by its author

9. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

I covet the tabletoid.

If it's powerful, I want it. (I may not go out and get it, but I want it..)

My current tablet PC is an HP TouchSmart TM2-1010EA, and... it's pretty heavy. And pretty powerful.

I also have a first-model Samsung Galaxy Tab.

10. Chinashaw
    Heart

What is with the Sony hatred

I am writing this on a Vaio Z series, that I've had for 2 years and it is brilliant, light, fast, powerful all that junk and not too ugly.

I agree with the poster about always comparing stuff to Apple, if they can produce a full specced laptop with more than 1 port and with BluRay et al and make it that thin, it is going to be so much better than the Air (my wifes current fondleslab of choice.) Making me a much happier husband.

Got to be honest, Sony's stuff is brilliant (the current PSN pleasure aside.)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Down

You definitely haven't heard

about the Sony rootkit, have you ? Man, you're wasting your love and money!

11. Big Bear
    FAIL

@Def

Lessee... Vaio TR5MP, acquired in spring 2004 I believe, still working beautifully despite a few operations to replace parts that I broke - oh wait, Apple wouldn't allow you to fix anything yourself. Followed by the TZ and TT ranges, which shoved a Core 2 Duo in an 11 inch machine without sacrificing anything like USB ports, video out, optical drive (back when we used to use them), or the screen, with built in WWAN as well. If you want an ultrathin machine, then the Vaio G11 was the beast to get.

I just don't see Apple as that innovative as everyone says that they are.

I'll admit I haven't used many of their goods, as the one machine I have spent time with (spent 3 months living with a 2008 MBP) became a paperweight in my house after a week and Apple decided that since it was bought in America, they couldn't service it here, even though Apple are the one company to make identical kit worldwide, inflicting the Godawful US keyboard on all inhabitants of the globe (by which I primarily mean that the UK has to put up with Yankisms). Don't get me wrong - their stuff works no better and no worse than many other machines, but they don't deliver that epicness that the fruit-hating Reg seems to so rave about.

12. AdamWill

MBA? Try the X.

That's not a Macbook Air-like Vaio. A Macbook Air-like Vaio would be the Vaio X:

http://www.engadget.com/2009/09/02/sony-announces-vaio-x-ultraportable/

well, it's even thinner. But has netbook internals at twice the price, which is why no-one bought one. Neat engineering job, though.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like