back to article MySpace bids expected this week

Rupert Murdoch is hoping for bids this week for his undead social network MySpace. News Corp has been trying to get shot of the site, or work out what to do with it since soon after buying it. The media giant bought the social networking and music site at the height of its popularity as part of the takeover of Intermix in …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. The Alpha Klutz
    Thumb Up

"an exceptionally uninspiring number" with almost total "value destruction".

Brutal.

Can anyone spell Ponzi scheme?

2. A. Lewis
    Badgers

I'll give him 50p.

Just park the trucks outside boys. We'll put most of the pages straight in the skip here....

3. Dan Price
    WTF?

Who'd buy it?

I'm amazed that people are actually considering buying myspace - it's been hemorraging users for the last few years, so what do they plan to do with it? Even as a list of valid email addresses it's going to be massively overpriced compared to just buying them from a marketing company.

1. The Alpha Klutz

"what do they plan to do with it?"

If I were an eccentric billionaire (and last time I consulted the bank manager, -that's what I call my wallet- , I was not), I would buy MySpace and re-brand it slightly.

By putting a big picture of a special bus on the homepage and renaming the site "Day Release Glue Sniffers". A script would comp pictures of random members into the windows of the bus each time you load the page.

Then I would link the "Tom" account to an offensive trolling bot based on the TR31 military trolling protocol that exists in my imagination.

I would walk around the MySpace offices saying things like "This is our loading program, from here we can load any type of trolling we require." I would hire people to make me coffee, and other people to drink it for me. I would be so good at running MySpace.

I think people would really appreciate the new site.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

Shame.

Bit of a shame what happened, but there you go. People would rather send stupid messages about picking their zits or scratching themselves through Twitter and Facebook than have a useful service that helps bands from various genres get a small "shopfront" to promote themselves.

Oh well that's progress I suppose!

5. Nash
    Happy

I'd buy it

and then i'd shut it down never for it to return.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Facebook is different.

Isn't it?

1. bluesxman
      Flame

RE: Facebook is different.

Yes, in so far as it hasn't yet "matured" enough to suffer the same ignominy as MySpace, Bebo (I'm sure an "etc" is appropriate here but I don't keep up with this sort of shit).

Or maybe they actually have a secret way to turn several metric fuck-tons of users into more than tuppence ha'penny a year.

2. MacRat
      Pirate

The Next Tila Tequila

Who will be the Tila Tequila of Facebook?

1. Havin_it
        Terminator

Tila Tequila of Facebook?

I believe Zuckerbitch kept that position in-house. They even made a movie.

Icon: Celebrity boy-droid

This topic is closed for new posts.