back to article Google and Facebook tool up for coupons fight

Google has chosen Oregon as its initial theatre of operations for its long-awaited response to Groupon. The search giant's push into the home of the world's biggest fungus comes as Facebook preps its own coupon assault on five US cities. Ever since Groupon had the temerity to decline a takeover offer from the Chocolate …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hmmm...

"Facebook says its deals – which will compete with other “social deals” applications already using Facebook "

... I don't like the sound of this. It is very Apple-esque

2. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

$6 Billion

Bet Groupon will feel really stupid when their carcass is bought for a fraction of that Googasm offer.

3. Gordan

Seems to me...

... they both have some catching up to do. Vouchercloud already do this, there's an free android app, too, and it filters by current location (as per GPS/WiFi/GSM). Handy if you eat out a lot, the voucher codes typically give between 25% and 50% off, especially if it's for 2.

4. BigG
    Paris Hilton

Is this for tight sods who wield their restaurant vouchers with such glee?

I'll be looking out for places that don't offer these discounts - is there an app for that?

Paris, because, well, she'd be well worth splashing out on.

5. DF118
    Alert

I really hate the idea behind all this

Groupon doesn't really work for products; it only really works for services where the "value" is somewhat nebulous, and thus the "saving" can be equally nebulous. In effect those of us who can't be arsed pissing around with Groupon to get a supposedly cheap deal on, say, a restaurant meal or a massage, are in effect paying for the discount given to those who can and do. The service provider loses margin to Groupon and the normal paying customer ends up paying more.

6. Wpgwill
    FAIL

I forsee...

Many more 50% off haircuts, spas and yoga that's still over priced after a 50% discount.

But OMG, a spa that's regularly $300 is now only $150 with GroupOn. Thank god!

7. joejack

Who wins?

Yelp is doing this now, too. Seems they'd be very well positioned - if you're on Yelp, it's usually because you're actively looking for a service.

http://www.yelp.com/deals/

8. Petrea Mitchell
    Black Helicopters

I wonder if they chose us here in fungus-land...

...because Google Hotpot/Google Places was/is being tested here too. (I'm not sure if it's still in the exclusive test phase or not, but the local buses are certainly still plastered with ads for it.)

1. Lamont Cranston

Giant mushrooms? Hotpot?

Is the Rovers Return somehow involved, too?

1. Petrea Mitchell
        Pint

Not quite...

No, but Portland does have an extraordinary number of brewpubs too. (In fact it claims to have more breweries per capita than any other large or largish city in the world-- 30+ within the city limits proper last I heard.)

9. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

Can you say 'monopolistic' activity on the part of Google?

eom...

10. YumDogfood

Green Shield Stamps, by the barrowload

Coupons? Looks like everybody is wanting to get out of the dollar, fast.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

Oh so cynical..

or perhaps just up yourselves? I just bought 3 months digital subscription to the Times and Sunday Times from Groupon for £7.80 which is normally £2 a week. A very real bargain. I also don't see how using a voucher to buy a meal is somehow a bad thing? If you're to stuck up yourself to accept a discount then thats your choice but don't make it out like you're somehow being cool. Sure there are some things where the "deal" isn't really but thats life, find me a store whos "sale" is 100% bargains and I'll show you a liar.

1. DF118
      Paris Hilton

Ok I'll bite

The point

A big gap

Your understanding

This topic is closed for new posts.