back to article Communicate

Google’s increasingly powerful translation tools are starting to make the Babel Fish a technical possibility and Communicate is the latest app to make use of them to offer real-time speech translation. Communicate   Communicate Languages choices and phrases for that longed-for escape Using Communicate couldn’t be easier. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Fail

Nice try, but the example German translation is whacked. We're still a long way off from a Babel Fish, right now it's more like babbling guppy

1. Elmer Phud
      Boffin

Babel fish

The other thing to remember is the babel fish is small and inserts itself in the ear. One suspects current technology is still a bit big for this and concealment may require the use of a Chatham pocket.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

WHAT!

AS A CITIZEN OF POLAND, I AM APPALLED BY YOUR SICK JOKE!

Just kidding, I LOLed, and so did my coworkers :).

3. lawndart

says:

How much for a donkey?

Parasailing or non-parasailing?

4. Fab De Marco

Old News

This had already been done fictionally on the IT Crowd with Hillarious consequences.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Headmaster

whacked???

OK, the translation lacks the grace of a Goethe or a Schiller but it does the job. And judging by your use of 'whacked' (which actually means exhausted or worn out) the app's German is better than your English!

6. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

and....

its censored :)

how am I supposed to tell some French guy that he has stood in some merde?

7. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

What's the point?

The new Google Translate app supports this natively, so why one would be inclined to install a third-party app for this is a big mystery to me.

8. jonathanb Silver badge

Does't work for me

I tried getting it to translate "42" into French. It said "forty two" rather than "quarante-deux" as I would expect.

9. dotdavid
    Stop

All very well, but...

...the thing uses mobile data, and in the places you're likely to need to use this sort of thing (abroad) mobile data is stupidly expensive.

Alas, until the operators sort out reasonable roaming data charges this is never going to be practical.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Pint

errr....

With the current levels of immigration in the UK In certain parts of the country this will be a very useful app..

I can also see that a stand alone box to perform translations could come in very useful in council buildings and police stations to cut down on the expense of translators.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Title???

Great Idea ... But I want the Hungarian Phrase book version!!! ...

Bouncy Bouncy...

11. Al Taylor
    Alert

@ AC 11.03 etc

Well spotted, though oddly it does work the other way, merde to sh1t.

@ jonathanb - I just tried 42 and it said "quarante-deux" as expected though 42 appeared on the screen as 42 not forty-two.

@ Martijn Otto - fair point but Communicate is a lot more finger friendly and easier to use - esp. in 'conversation' mode - on the spur of the moment. You also don't need to tap the screen a second time to hear your translations read-out.

12. Ben Rosenthal

sounds interesting

but can it do non southern shandy drinking dialects of English?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

yes...

it works quite well with my scouse accent and also with the missus Wolverhampton accent, but she wasn't impressed when I said yam yam should be included on the list of languages.

13. Petrea Mitchell
    FAIL

Not quite ready for prime time

I clicked on this article when I saw the sidebar image for it... which is wrong. Or at least dodgy. If you're asking a stranger "How are you?" in Spanish, it should be ¿Cómo está? (polite form) rather than ¿Cómo estás? (familiar form). Using this app, awkardness may ensue.

14. Johan Bastiaansen

Any alien languages???

Romulan? Klingon?

15. Phil 54
    Pint

What's the point?

Raising my voice more and more seems to work perfectly fine! Besides, we all know that everyone understands English, they're just taking the piss.

16. Levente Szileszky
    Alert

Hungarian support will be...

...pretty tricky as it is vastly different from most indo-european languages. It is famous for having complex grammar and, as a killer for this project, being one of the most agglutinative languages, resulting in 100K+ compound words and a full dictionary of over 1M+...

It's not only very lyrical and beautiful for the native speaker but it's a sort of cultural wall, both ways and we're usually pretty bad at marketing ourselves anyway.

In essence speaking Hungarian language means a whole cultural identity by its own; famous fellow Hungarian Arthur Koestler wrote "to be Hungarian is a collective neurosis" ergo any good translation will require a similarly suffering translator. ;)

On a more serious note: as a native speaker I have yet to see anything more than some miserable, wretched automated translations; they are usually are far worse than Google's 'dog-English' translation results from other languages. :)

All hands man the pumps etc because they will need it to tackle Hungarian.

17. jwb
    Thumb Up

not censored

Huh, my version is not censored. I get all seven dirty words. Most of them come out as English with a Spanish/German/French accent. I never knew I was able to speak so many languages!

The only thing that seems to be broken is it refuses to translate "whacked" from US English into UK English. It keeps telling me that I'm trying to translate the same language. Silly app!

18. Ken 16 Silver badge

I have to download it

to play with the US > UK translation

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like