back to article Eminent EM7195 HD server

The Eminent 7195 is a monster of a media player. It towers above diddy streaming clients like the Apple TV and WDTV models, and would doubtless win a brawl with its HDD media player Netherlands neighbour A.C.Ryan. Eminent EM7195 HD Media Server All-encompassing: Eminent's EM7195 HD server To emphasise its size, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Insane Reindeer
    Thumb Up

The answer!

Now this I like. I've been looking for a box that can take the place of my ageing Phillips dual tuner digital box and expand to allow playing of any other files we happen to have lying around! All I need to find out now is how easy it would be to extract what ever was recorded on to it from the TV for playing on a laptop later. The F-Connector thing is not an issue for me here in Finland either.

2. The Mighty Spang

but is it better than a popcorn hour?

sounds very similar. nice idea, crappy firmware leaving things you bought it for not working. i've got a PCH A200 after over a year i still don't have gigabit ethernet working. their developers reasurre everybody that they've got it working there, but over here, in the real world, nada.

instead of fixing the shit you bought the box for, they've added a crappy and slow jukebox system, even though there are plenty of 3rd party products that can do that for you.

it has FINALLY got iplayer support, but when I tried it there seems to be a frame dropping problem you can see in pans and end credits.

i don't know if they've fixed it because their offical support site, networkedmediatank.com now requires you to register JUST TO READ IT. if there's a greater warning about appaling firmware problems i'd like to see it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Hello There, Guest

Above title is the response I get when connecting to networkedmediatank.com and I also get full read access to the site. It is not unreasonable that they require registration for posting to the site, just as El Reg does. Using the EM7195 review just to take a cheap shot at popcorn hour was bad enough, being way off target is unforgiveable.

You'd like to see a greater warning about so-called appaling firmware problems? There don't seem to be many HD media servers around without their fair share. At least the PCH A200 is still getting new firmware releases unlike the original WDTV which has been abandoned for well over a year now.

Getting closer to the original topic and in answer to the question in your title:

From what little can be seen of the user interface in the review and the comment about lack of support for album artwork, I'd say that the popcorn hour is streets ahead here (yes, even the slow, crappy jukebox).

The tuner is a feature that the popcorn hour lacks, but as it doesn't support HD, I'd be needing a separate box anyway.

The noise mentioned in the review is also a significant negative for anyone with good audio hardware that doesn't want distractions during quieter passages.

The USB3 failings maybe score a draw with the popcorn's gigabit ethernet which only makes transferring media to it's HDD take a while longer, I have yet to encounter a media stream which requires more than 100 megabit ethernet to handle it.

Overall, I'd say the PCH is the better system and the review score for the EM7195 is a tad generous at 70%. For anyone still considering the EM7195, definitely go for the diskless version and save a few beer vouchers by getting an HDD seperately and sticking it in.

1. The Mighty Spang

"It appears that you've exceeded the maximum number of posts you can view"

"To unlock the forum and continue viewing messages, all you need to do is to Register for a free account. The entire process takes just a few minutes so create your account now and view as many threads as you like! "

try reading more than a certain number of messages and you get that. no idea what the limit is, i get that every time now.

i think you missed the point. its register to READ the forum. that's a bad sign. If el reg was register to read how many readers would it have? arsing around with yet another random sign in just to read something? f. off!

and you said -> " being way off target is unforgiveable." but I forgive you as its easter.

as for noise, my PCH squeals like a stuck pig for about 15 mins after being turned on with a faulty fan. i'm not the only one with this problem i noticed *before* they stopped randoms reading their forums.

as for ui's anything that doesn't let you change mistaken files from inside the UI is useless for consumers.

still want the gigabit fixed, takes forever to copy files up to the unraid server.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Noisy?

A little on the noisy side? It's a no-go then. Sorry. Some people like their images. I like my sound. Quiet as well as loud. Noisy is a no-go for media gear for me.

4. Gary F
    Stop

Inadequate specification - out of date

DVB-T tuners? Freeview in the UK is shifting to the newer broadcast format DVB-T2 for Freeview HD. If you're going to buy a new freeview decoder of any sort and want to pick up the HD channels now and in the future then make sure it's DVB-T2.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

interface

The lack of a HD tuner does make it a bit of johnny come lately. But I suppose the inclusion of a tuner at all is a good sign. Interface looks a stone age, I know programmers cost money, but?. Can it be used diskless? Does it work happily with a SSD for recording? how good is the epg? Looks a tad expensive compared to say a wdtv plus humax pvr.

6. nick 30
    Thumb Down

No Gigabit ethernet?

So it'll play HD streams but only if the quality is shit enough to go via Wifi/100mbit? No thanks.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

HTPC/Zotac etc

After messing with various media 'Soulutions' I gave up and got Z-Box (ND-22 from Zotac). built with a 500GB HDD and 4 gig ram it came in around the same price as this unit and is way more flexible.. Especially with XBMC - all formats all progys required to take care of various tasks for media. Hooked nicely into my HI-FI for music and barely a peep from it. No tuner tho - but considering USB ones can be bought for around 20 quid I am not too bothered.

Also added a usb dongle and a PS3 bluetooth remote for under 20quid) oh and has built in gigabit LAN.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like