back to article Hacker cops to payment card fraud worth more than $36m

An American citizen has admitted to stealing data for more than 676,000 payment cards from databases he hacked into and netting more than $100,000 by selling them in underground bazaars online. Rogelio Hackett, 26, of Lithonia, Georgia, pleaded guilty to one count of access device fraud and one count of aggravated identity …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. scarshapedstar
    Paris Hilton

Ahem

That's Lithonia, Georgia. Not Lithonia, 'George'.

That said, I'm surprised to learn that anyone in Lithonia knows how to read, much less hax0r...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Ahem

Fixed.

2. Turtle

For Wales?

"2001 BMW X5 and a pair of Louis Vuitton shoes".

Typical criminal motivation. And you know, it is just so pathetically petty. Reminds me of Sir Thomas Moore in "A Man For All Seasons when he say, - don't recall exactly, sorry - "The Bible says it profits a man nothing if he sells his souls and gains the world. But for Wales, Richard? For Wales?"

And this clown will do 10 years for the sake of a BMW, a pair of Louis Vuitton shoes, and similar garbage. He deserves those 10 years ten times over.

1. Lee Dowling Silver badge

Well

Thank God most criminals are that stupid, to run off and buy luxury items that'll flag warnings on any tax audit almost immediately. Because if he'd been quietly stowing it away into untraceable off-shore accounts and then emigrated one day, you'd never have heard of him and he *would* live a life in luxury probably in a country that didn't support extradition back to the US, like at least one of the "Great" train robbers did. And that's if the police could even trace it back to him by then (the article suggests they were after a petty criminal and found a major one-man operation they knew nothing about).

Greed is behind most crimes, when you think about it, whether it's greed for money, power or whatever. The sensible criminals could easily never have to work ever again and never have to steal ever again after their "big" job, but they always come back to have one last pop out of greed and usually end up getting caught because of that.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

ahem

"luxury items that'll flag warnings on any tax audit"

You're being unfair there. I've certainly seen some deprived parts of GA on my infrequent travels there but even so I don't think ownership of a used car and a pair of shoes is likely to raise too many eyebrows...

3. wjake

Oh, a fine?

Here, put it on this card...

1. Player_16

Ay!

His credits good! No problem.

4. Alan Brown Silver badge
    Grenade

Commit crimes...

Make millions

Pay trivial fine, spend time in slammer

PROFIT!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Err...

I'm not sure but, I'm guessing they take the profit as well?

In the UK we have the assets recovery agency, I assume there is something similar in America?

1. kain preacher

assets recovery

Here in America we can seize every thing you have and make you prove you bought with legit funds. Here is the kicker. After he is released from prison, if they can prove that he is spend the moneys from this crime he goes back to jail.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Another day another criminal goes to prison

It's amazing there are so many dumb people in this world. I wonder how much fun he'll have in prison for the next ten years.

6. Giles Jones Gold badge

Weak punishment

His punishment isn't as bad as some people get for sharing music, despite this guys crimes actually having a proper figure attached to them.

7. Tom Chiverton 1
    FAIL

Bizarre

Obviously clued up enough to go after valuable data, but not enough to hide his IP and money trail ? Odd...

8. sabba
    Badgers

To be fair....

...did it not say he had been doing this kind of thing for 20 years (or did I misread?). If that's the case. After getting away with it for so long he probably got complacent and sloppy. Still, it serves the bugger right. I still question the morality of a legal system whereby a theft, even one as large as this, can often equate to a sentence greater than that for rape or murder.

9. wwwd

@sabba

Doing this kind of thing for 20 years and he is described as "Rogelio Hackett, 26"? They just keep getting younger.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like