back to article Mobe, mobe, mobe. There - we've said it

We'd just like to clarify something this afternoon for the benefit of those commentators among you who have a) not been keeping up with developments regarding the word "mobe" and b) seem to believe that Vulture Central operates some kind of democratic system in which the unwashed masses are allowed to chip in their two bits' …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. triky
    Heart

brilliant...

... that made my modnay ! nuff said.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Dead Vulture

Terminology as identifier

If you use the word mobe you are Nathan Barley.

That is all.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

OH MY GOD !!! It's MOBEGATE

They've gone and done it.

El Reg has gone and done a "Blue Peter," a "GMTV" a "This Morning" !!!!

We vote in blind faith that our votes are accepted and actually get read only to find that they are completely ignored and we never stood a chance of winning !!!

What's Ofcom's number ???

4. Cameron Colley

Puzzled by the choice of vernacular.

I am surprised by the use of the word "mobe" on El Reg -- seems to go against the trend of Americanisation (or, should that be Americanization?), I was expecting "mobile phone" to be replaced with "cell phone".

5. Bill Fresher

@Cameron Colley

Thank you for clearing up what a "mobe" is. I had no idea it was a cell.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Lappy?

Isn't a lappy what the BOFH goes into that dodgy club for after 14 pints and an Indian. All on the Boss's expenses account of course....

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So...

New standard replies of Where's the mobe angle should be appearing on most reports?

Me thinks we'll need a new mobe icon

Yours Sincerely,

Another A. Coward

8. Jeroen Braamhaar
    Go

@ Anon Coward

> Me thinks we'll need a new mobe icon

Yes!

And quite naturally, it should have a celebrity holding a Jesus Mobe inverted ....

9. Rick
    Joke

surely...

Moby is out there on his mobe following these developments....

10. Big_Boomer Silver badge
    Boffin

DOOFUS!

Users of the words mobe, lappy, and other pointless abbreviations should be allowed to continue. All they are doing is allowing the rest of us to make a rapid estimate of their intelligence level and react accordingly.

Isn't it strange that it's always either sales or marketing types that invent polysyllabic gobbledigook thinking that it makes them sound intelligent whilst journalists and techies abbreviate and acronym everything in sight thinking that it makes them sound intelligent.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

If this continues...

... then I move that Mr Haines be henceforthwith known as "Mobe Dick".

12. Anonymous Coward
    Dead Vulture

Well sorted, innit.

I thinks itz gurt great an' that wot El Reg don't get all up itself and uses all that posh gramma and spulling and stuff like they tries stuffing down thy gob at skool.

13. Ben Boyle
    Thumb Up

Jesus mobe inversion syndrome?

Surely that should be "insertion"?

14. Pascal Monett Silver badge

As for me

I salute our Grand Vulture Poobah. As I grovel in the dust under his baleful eye, I give thanks to His magnificence in tolerating my miserable browser in the august presence of His pages. I totally accept mobe, lappy, linguine and any other wording the El Reg boffinry will deign foist upon my unworthy eyes with relish.

And some ketchup, naturally.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Lester, Lester, Lester...

Dear old Bobby Mugabe can't afford to send the Zanu-PF. He's too busy shopping for more wine farms in the Stellenbosch area.

I mean really, do you think Bobby would want to prop up a colonialistic regime such as yourselves at The Reg? The Gods Must Be Joking!

Flame on! Hat. Coat. Door. Taxi. :-)

16. Paul

@Simon Holt

I think you meen is:

"I tinks itz grt n' tht wot El Reg dn't gt al up itslf n uses al tht posh gramma n spulling n stuff like they tries 2 lern us at skool."

17. Keith T
    Alien

Revolution

It appears to be the onset of revolution in response to apparent draconian measures from Vulture Central.

To restrict the populace to 'proper' words has been seen as a retrograde step in the development of culture and is being tackled from within the organisation itself. In short there are mobe moles at work.

The public may well have decided once but, as usual, with the public and politics it's all down to who promises the most at any given point in time.

I'm waiting to see who can offer my personal autogyro and the atomic domestic oven and then I'll modify my language to suit.

Until then I shall refrain from using either 'mobe' or 'mobile' or even 'mobile phone' but carry out my own incursions with the use of 'cell'. (I'm not off to get my coat but a pubic wig if I'm gonna have ta talk like that)

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

mobe

mobemobemobemobemobemobemobemobemobemobemobemobemobemobemobemobemobemobe

mobemobemobemobemobemobemobemobemobemobemobemobemobemobemobemobemobemobe

19. Spleen

Standard, isn't it?

So long as explanations of these terms are accompanied with "as any fule kno", I don't mind and s**t.

20. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

I was confused !

Yes, I admit it. I voted no to 'mobe' in the original poll, but since then I have changed my ways ... <whimper> .. I love mobe, I use at least 4 times in every sentence. No Lester, no more <grovel>

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Pronunciation

Is that mobe like "microbe" without the "icr" or like "mobe not today, mobe not tomorrow, but soon ..." or like "there ain't enough honey, we need mobes"?

22. jon fisher
    Pirate

if we allow mobe...

...can we reach a comprimise where any mention of a 'mashup' results in instant death?

23. Daniel
    Coat

Me thinks we'll need a new mobe icon

And here we have it :P

www.fresh-lobster.co.uk/media/images/news/jesusmobe.png

24. Robert Hill

@jon fisher

No, jon, we CANNOT reach a "comprimise". But I think we have a chance at a compromise on "mashups"...although I am not sure how El Reg could possibly write another Web 2.0 piece without it...

25. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

A Public Statement From "The Lynching Council of El Reg Intolerant Flamers"

In response to this Shocking announcement from The Minister of Truth ‘Lester (Tyrant) Haines’ himself the “Lynching Council of El Reg Intolerant Flamers” has the following public statement to be read out loud in a rabble rousing voice.

“What's he that wishes so? My cousin Haines? No, my fair cousin; If we are mark'd to die, we are enow to do our Register’s loss; and if to live, The fewer men, the greater share of honour.

This day is call'd the feast of St Vulture. He that outlives this day, and comes safe home, Will stand a tip-toe when this day is nam'd, And rouse him at the name of St Vulture He that shall live this day, and see old age, Will yearly on the vigil feast his neighbours, And say 'To-morrow is Saint Vulture.' Then will he strip his sleeve and show his scars, And say 'These wounds I had on Vultures day.' Old men forget; yet all shall be forgot, But he'll remember, with advantages, What feats he did that day. Then shall our names, Familiar in his mouth as household words- Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.

We few, we happy few, we band of brothers; For he to-day that flames with me Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile, This day shall gentle his condition; And gentlemen in webland now-a-bed Shall think themselves accurs'd they were not here, And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks That flamed with us upon Saint Vultures day.

Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more, Or close the wall up with our flaming dead! In peace there's nothing so becomes a man As modest stillness and humility; But when the blast of a flaming war blows in our ears, Then imitate the action of the tiger: Stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood.

We shall flame them on the seas and oceans,

We shall flame with growing confidence and growing strength in the air,

We shall defend our webland, whatever the cost may be,

We shall flame them on the beaches,

We shall flame them on the landing grounds,

We shall flame them in the fields and in the streets and we shall flame in the hills; provided we can get a good signal

We shall not disappear into the night, we shall not go down with out a fight, we are going to live on, we are going to survive because today is our FLAMING DAY!

Fight the Power, Fight the Man, Flame on Brothers!”

Chairman A. Coward

26. Eileen Bach

But calling the mobile internet

Mobi is still OK. mobi, mobi, mobi.mobi.mobi.

27. Martin Huizing
    Paris Hilton

Web 2.0 application anyone?

<mobe>

Insert flame here

btw. Here is Paris Hilton for you!

</mobe>

28. Graham Lockley
    Happy

No chance of ICT being spared then ?

My former boss at a college I taught at was given the title :

Curriculum Leader - IT

He quickly got the C inserted on his name badge ....

29. Rick Brasche
    Thumb Up

needs that new icon..

a big finger up! two even!

30. Mr P Hilton
    Gates Halo

All hail King Lester...............

Today is a glorious day for now I no longer feel like a social pariah for downloading mashups using my lappy and transferring onto my mobe.

Now I can shout "Mobe" (or mobi; or even moby if you like) from the rooftops safe in the knowledge that El Reg will back me up.

And when I stand in court accused of bastardising the English language I know I shall emerge victorious when Mr Haines gives his expert testament in my defence.

Oh happy days.

BTW there's absolutely no truth in the rumour whatsoever that Prez Musharaf has thrown Lester in jail and declared emergency rule at The Reg because of his inane dislike of the word mobi..............

31. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Dangerous Ground

Mobe is one of those (non)words which has the feel of being something else, especially if you accent the e. What I mean is Latin.

You know how it goes amo, amas, amat etc. So we would have mobe, mobas, mobat. It gets worse mobamus: we phone, mobatis: you phone and mobant: they phone.

Enough! Never mind get my coat. I think I will go for a lie down.

32. Michael Benneyworth
    Coat

So should we call the "Public".....

pubes?

Abbreviations rule!

Or should have rules. Wait those aren't always applicable in all situations....

<coat> <incoherent muttering>

(exits with head hung)

</incoherent muttering> </coat>

This topic is closed for new posts.