back to article Sony Ericsson still making money, to some surprise

The explosion of Android handsets has kept Sony Ericsson in profit, to the surprise of the markets, which were expecting a significant loss for the first quarter of 2011. With sales down by 23 per cent – to 8.1 million handsets – and gross revenue from those sales down to €1.1bn – from €1.4bn this time last year – one might be …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

All the while

Nokia shares continue to plummet. very soon Microsoft will be able to buy them outright, gut whats worthwhile and then toss them aside...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

What for?

They already have everything they needed from Nokia.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

including the PLAY and Neo...

Yet I haven't seen the latter in stores in my country.

Vapourware and vapourprofit perhaps

3. spencer

They make good phones..

They make good android devices - they've reduced the dev work required (they only have to put the polish on top of android now and make drivers) to get it to market - This equals profit...

4. lglethal Silver badge

How much...

How much of that €11 million will go to the CEO (and the boards) bonuses, i wonder?

Would anyone like to hazard a guess? Anyone?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

11 million?

That's not even enough to fill up the executives' Porshes.

To put it perspective, Google made (net profit) two times that every single DAY of last year.

5. Rich 30

t

The SE Play will flop. I think they are quite nice, but they dont seem to be selling. The Arc looks lovely though.

I think they need to release a few very cheap handsets, ie the sub £20 market.

6. Sly
    FAIL

Sony can't do software...

so let Google do it.

So Sony Ericsson makes hardware that is just as cheap as every other made in China phone and finally get a brain cell to outsource their programming by using a product available from another company that knows what they're doing. Considering my last SE phone needed to be rebooted every other day just to be able to switch towers, I wouldn't buy another SE product to save my life. (yea, it would lock into one tower and not switch off of it to other towers. Very strange thing.)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like