back to article Hunting of incredibly rare two-horned 'unicorns' forbidden

Vietnam is to set up a nature reserve for unfeasibly rare – possibly now extinct – two-horned "unicorns". The rare saola (or 'unicorn') of the Annamite mountains. Credit: Bolikhamxay Provincial Conservation Unit No more unicorn hunting. By order The creature in question is more formally known as the saola. It is informally …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anteaus

Pointing in wrong direction

A unicorn horn points forward. The myth probably arose from seeing a medieval knight holding his lance such that the point seemed to emerge from the horse's head.

2. kevin biswas
    Joke

If humans stop hunting unicorns...

how can we harvest their blood to make printer ink ???

3. ShaggyDoggy

A unicorn horn points forward

You've seen one then ?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bicorns surely?

Duocorns? Polycorns?

5. The last doughnut
    Go

Barbeque time?

I say, that does look rather tasty.

6. Citizen Kaned

eh?

"In some circles the saola is thought to be responsible for Chinese legends regarding the qilin, a fantastical creature equivalent to the unicorn in European lore."

erm, no. it has 2 FRIKKIN HORNS!!! 2 horned creatures are very rare compared to single horned creatures, especially when we have no record of an actual equine one horned beast.

1. Dave Gregory
      WTF?

2 horned creatures are very rare compared to single horned creatures

Like all the oxen, cattle, deer, elk, moose, goats, sheep and other fantastically rare beings of the world.

One of us has missed something, I'm sure...

2. Blake St. Claire
      Boffin

No citizen

Nobody said the qilin has a single horn.

Just that in Chinese mythology it's about as fantastical as the unicorn is in European legend.

1. Allan George Dyer
        Headmaster

The qilin...

(also known in Japan, just look at a bottle of Kirin beer), shares other characteristics with the unicorn, such as virtue. But not the number of horns.

Some say a giraffe brought from Africa to the Emperor's court was identified as a qilin. The qilin dance is less common than the lion dance.

3. wayne 8
      Headmaster

either zero or infinite

The rareness of a creature measured against the unicorn's causes an error trap.

Since no one has produced a physical unicorn the rareness factor of a unicorn is indeterminate.

7. Lockwood

Uni corn?

Surely these are Bicorns.

I've just realised typing that that a bicorn is something you might buy alongside four candles.

8. disgruntled yank

But it looks to me

more like a four-legged biped.

9. Muckminded

Next up, South American centaurs

Don't look in his bathroom, it's all hay and road apples.

10. drfreak
    Gates Horns

Unicorns

are Magically Delicious.

11. Veldan

Antelope?

Looks like of like an antelope to me... or at least a cousin.

1. R J Tysoe

required

I wouldn't want to meet your family if that's what your cousin looks like.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like