back to article UK net banking website falls flat on its bank

Nationwide Building Society's online presence has been floored for the second time in two months. The main site is unavailable, and while customers can access online banking by going direct to the logon page, they're unlikely to see details of their accounts once they've logged in. A spokesman for Nationwide confirmed that …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

they're clueless

Nationwide security is absolutely p*ss poor as well, and yet so complex it's impossible to log in twice running.

1. Anomalous Cowturd
      WTF?

Piss poor maybe, complex, no.

Still down for me. Lets me log in, then gives message...

We are currently experiencing problems with displaying account information and transactions.

We are working hard to rectify this as soon as possible and would like to apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.

Helen Fowler

Head of Internet Channels

Message updated 18 April 2011

1. sam 16
        Thumb Up

How secure!

This is a great improvement on possibly compromised RSA fobs being distributed by the other banks. Clearly, nationwide's platform is completely secure. Even if the user discloses their password, there is no way a criminal can transfer money out of their account. More like this!

2. Bogle
      Thumb Down

OFX?

clueless and don't give a monkey's about the customer - we've been asking for something more useful than a CSV of our transactions for years and still customers have to use things like http://edwilde.com/Nationwide2OFX/ which really isn't a good idea!

2. nousername

When IS it up?

Fell over only twice? Not my experience.

I use the Nationwide BS online service daily but pretty early on (6am to 7am). I think I can in all honesty say the system is use-able about 60% of the time. The rest of the time is too slow to be workable. My other bank is OK at that time though.

1. Michael

try blocking scripts

their website is piss poor. The flash and background scripts constantly hang and cause issues when loading. Block scripts and it is surprisingly quick at loading.

3. brudinie
    FAIL

serves them right for dicking me around with my mortgage!

Sounds like their online presence matches their standards for customer service and sales.

4. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Affected me

I exclusively use internet banking - encouraged by Nationwide. Tried to check if my expense had gone in today ... epic fail.

By and large I am happy with them - I switched from Halifax in protest at their eye-watering overdraft fees, and shitty attitude (when I phoned up to query it, this snotty woman said "well yo can't borrow money and not expect to pay it back" - to which I retorted "no, you can't. Let's look at the 8 BILLION you borrowed from the taxpayer, and discuss when you're going to repay that"). At least my taxes are going to Nationwide.

Anyway, they'd better get their act together. I can live with an hours outage or so, but any more, and becomes more than inconvenient.

5. marksi
    FAIL

Third time...

...if you count Saturday evening when it would only load random parts of pages for quite a while. Eventually I did get the page I wanted to load and found the webform didn't work in Chrome.

6. mittfh
    Badgers

Oops!

And that, folks, is why you run upgrades against a test system first - so you can check for potential problems *before* rolling it out to the live DB.

1. Sir Cosmo Bonsor

You're clearly a genius

Based on a single, brief Reg post, you've performed an in-depth analysis and identified the problem.

Bravo.

7. Frostbite
    Thumb Up

Haaaah Haaaaah Haaaaah Haaaaah ROFL

Serves them right, unhelpful .....stards.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

And this...

is why we should resist the abolition of cash at every stage its pushed on us.

9. James Hughes 1

Just to give the other side fo the coin

I've never had any problems with Nationwide Online banking and have used it since before the web was born. Never had any problems with the BS itself either, apart from never having enough cashiers on a Sat. morning, but since all banks are the same in that respect I don't think that's particularly relevant!

Mind you, I don't check it every day, so likely to have missed any outages, but hey, that's what most people do.

There are always people who have had bad experiences, and they are always more vocal than those who are happy, for obvious reasons.

10. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

I hate building societies too.

I much prefer to keep money in a bank which apparently is somehow owned by somed

body in another country, whatever that means as far as I am concerned, I just hope a volcano or tsunami or something doesn't go off there. But until it does, phbbbbt to mutuality!!! Let's all lend our money to vasty rich people and not get anything back for doing so! (How do you think they got rich? That's how!)

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I can put up with the odd IT snafu

As a reasonably happy Nationwide customer, I can put up with the odd IT snafu. After all, at least they're not a *ank.

12. nichomach
    WTF?

Seems fine from here

And touch wood, I've never had any real problems with them.

13. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Market Harborough BS

website is also dead, and was broken at the weekend

14. Jay Clericus
    Happy

works for me

worked this morning and is currently working now :)

as my card is in my wallet upstairs and the car reader is somewhere else, used the memorable data and keycode, maybe people want to try that ?

Recorded below are your activity summary details for the session commencing 17:16:37 on 18 April 2011.

15. Seanie Ryan
    Stop

security

not as bad as the security on MBNA's system. Went from a username/password combo on one page to putting the username on page one and asking for pw if you get username right.

Not only that but it also shows you the users 'sitekey' image and text before asking for pw as a security measure.

You can put in any username and get to the next page and see their 'sitekey'

SImple to copy to a phishing site and then get people to put in their password and suck up all the details for the lads in lagos.

Of course when i rang them to point this out, I was told i was wrong and its now MORE secure even though I would tell the operator what the sitekey image was for an account name i guessed.

Also emailed the Reg on this a few months ago, but seems like its not a news story!

Am I the only one who sees this as an issue?

1. CD001

ummm

----

username on page one and asking for pw if you get username right

----

Ummm, who thought _that_ was a good idea?!? Surely login form 101 says "DO NOT identify whether it's the username or password that's incorrect as that provides verification of part of the data".

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Working fine here

Certainly not the best internet banking site in the world but it works and they manage to send me all the necessary stuff to Jormany without getting the address too badly wrong.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Dr

I wish I knew why does the olb2.nationwide internet banking site work reasonably but the main www.nationwide site takes forever to load. I suspect some js nastiness that doesn't like Firefox on Linux. And why, when the details of both my ISA's are displayed online do I have to fill in a form and post it to consolidate the accounts. I used to like Nationwide when they were the onlyones not ripping me off when using my debit card in europe, but patience is running out.

18. Starkadder
    Happy

Works now

Site is working fine at 8.15 am Wednesday 19 April.

19. Nick Kew

ECN?

I wonder if folks who have problems with Nationwide are up against an ECN bug, and might benefit from turning ECN off in their router and/or PC.

I sometimes find Nationwide hopelessly unresponsive. I can work around it by going to the pocket-puter and switching to my O2 mobile connection, which appears to be ECN-free.

20. Anonymous Coward
    IT Angle

bugs!?

who needs bugs when IBM services is running this for them! bwahahahahaha

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like