back to article How to find the next Google. Or at least a free taco

Outside a nondescript warehouse under a San Francisco freeway was a roach coach serving free tacos to an assembled mass of geeks, entrepreneurs, and dressed-down corporate types, all of whom were hoping that in the next few hours they'd witness the unveiling of the next Facebook or Google or Skype. This is SF New Tech, billed …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Viscount

Is there anything like this in London? Surely they must be, but I'm just not on the circular.

1. TeeCee Gold badge
      Happy

Re: Viscount

Apparently this thing started in the bar round the corner.

Now I am sure that in London there are plenty of techie types meeting up in pubs to discuss new shit. The difference is that if one of them ever suggests that they might want to move the event to a hall with a stage, video screens, dweebs spouting sheer bollocks into mics and loads of nerds going "yeah, like that's so cooool" while high-fiving, the rest look at him like he's gone mad.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Viscount

Silicon Roundabout, MiniBar, etc -- have a look on meetup.com and techmeetups.com

2. Mike Flugennock
    Badgers

Nice to see some things never change

Seems somehow perversely comforting to see that spirit of useless, vaporous dot-com clownshittery is still alive and well in Sillycon Valley.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

+1 For use of ...

'clownshittery'. It's now my new favourite word.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Seconded

+1 also for the bitter rancorous cynicism - completely correct to apply it here.

1. Mike Flugennock

Thanks, again.

Couldn't help it. I still have fresh memories of twelve, thirteen years ago, turning on the Today Show and seeing the 7:30 interview segment taken up by some 22-year-old newly-minted MBA up to his ears in venture capital babbling about how his new Web site was going to change the way the world bought its widgets, or some shit.

Every time I read one of the New Tech pitches I thought "Dude, 1998 called, etc..."

2. Mike Flugennock

Thanks.

My pleasure, man. I realized that the terms "bullshit" and "horseshit" in this context were demeaning to two perfectly useful forms of organic waste... as opposed to what was being spewed at the New Tech scene, which was shit manufactured by clowns for consumption by other clowns.

3. Any Cowman Odors
    Boffin

idea -> ??? -> profit

Hmmm. 7 * $350 * 12 = about $29Kper year - someone has a nice little second income for a few hours work a month. No underpants in sight here...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

mmmm

What did people eat when they were there? And how comfy were the seats?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

boooooring

read the first few lines of the article and it was boring as hell. Cathy headline but very boring article

This topic is closed for new posts.