back to article Google whacked with another monopoly moan

Google has been hit with yet another competition complaint - this one accusing the search and ad giant of abusing its dominant position for mobile operating systems. Two South Korean companies - NHN, which runs the country's largest search engine, and Daum Communications - have complained to the Fair Trade Commission of the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

Daum Communications & NHN

"Software giant Microsoft has reached a USD 30 million settlement with South Korean portal Daum Communications .. The deal also represents the start of a closer working alliance between Microsoft and Daum .. The deal also includes Microsoft's new online alliance with Daum"

http://www.telecompaper.com/news/microsoft-daum-communications-settle-lawsuit

"Software maker Microsoft Corp. will align with local Internet company NHN Corp., to integrate the Korean company's Web search technology in its software products, NHN said yesterday"

http://bink.nu/news/microsoft-to-provide-korean-nhn-s-search-technology-on-its-products.aspx

2. Jim Coleman
    Happy

Duh...

Any corporation that has "Do no evil" as its motto does evil. It's a bit like the Catholic Church having the motto "Be good to young boys". You don't need the motto unless you're already thinking about the crime. Kinda reverse psychology.

If a company had the motto "Try harder to be nasty", you'd assume they had been quite nice.

3. Shane8
    Joke

O RLY?

“Smartphones using the Android operating system have Google’s search engine installed as a default navigation tool while they are systematically designed to make it virtually impossible to switch to another option.”

So what you'd rather use bing? (lol)

1. Ian Michael Gumby
      Boffin

No Joke

Bing, Yahoo!, and of course others that are country specific like Korea or China.

And that's the point.

Remember the huge advantage Microsoft had with its IE and the fact that it came preloaded?

Replace Microsoft with Google, and IE with Search.

Once Google is judged to be a monopoly, the laws and rules change.

2. nation of stupid

So what you'd rather use bing?

I'd just like to be able to use google.co.uk as the default, there isn't any way of changing it or giving you a choice.

4. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

ffs....

ok, so google make a smartphone operating system and incorporate there own search and map service into it....

BIG DEAL....

If i was to write a operating system for any device, from the start I would be including as much of my own companies technology into that operating system as possible...

now if they released the operating system without a search engine or maps to start with then later killed the competition off at a later date AFTER they had invested money in the map and search engine markets I would at least see the point....

what next, action against fords for supplying steering wheels with the cars they sell instead of giving a list of optional suppliers to buy one from?

5. Giles Jones Gold badge

Monopoly? don't be stupid.

There's no lock-in with Android. There is practically nothing on Android that you can't do on other smartphones (talking feature wise, not open source geekery).

There's no office file format which Android can only read and that opens looking like a dogs dinner on other devices.

Android devices do not have a 95% share of the market in business and aren't the de-facto standard for such devices.

1. Little Poppet
      Go

Google Monopoly Yes

But you are required to sign up for a Google Account to fully utilize the phone's features...

However, my biggest bugbear is privacy with Google...

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

But...

... the device manufacturer is free to modify the Android it installs onto it's devices to do whatever they want it to do, so how the hell is Google to blame?

7. ChrisInAStrangeLand
    FAIL

Bing on Android

If you want to install Bing on your phone it's two small 'anti-competitive' clicks:

https://market.android.com/search?q=bing

8. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Unhappy

Strong smell of rodent.

Complaints about Google are popping up like mushrooms lately. I'm even seeing criticisms appearing on private lists. Curiously these are all from new members to the lists who make such criticisms their very first comments.

I can't help thinking someone is applying 'fertilizer'.

9. Little Poppet
    Thumb Up

Typical of The Register

The fact is, Google is no better than Apple or MS: massive companies, whose sole intent are massive profits.

The Register's brainwashing of simple minds over the years has resulted in delusional sheep following the Google-Way-Of-Life.

Please stop excreting Google's 'open-source' credentials, just remember that you've been duped! lol.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like