back to article Stitch in time saves 900 support calls

Centralising the desktop has upsides and downsides for support staff. The upside is that, done correctly, the IT department gets more control over the desktop, enabling them both to prevent potential problems before they happen, and also to analyse any anomalies more easily from a central point. "In days gone by, if a trader …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Erm...

""In days gone by, if a trader in financial services had a desktop issue, a second-line support person would go there, and they'd bring with them another desktop and just swap it out," points out David Cowan, head of consulting services at Plan-Net, an IT consultanc . "There's no root cause analysis; you just get them up and running ASAP. But with VDI, you have more control.""

Well no, it might be what a consultancy which pays it's tradefloor contractors 250 a day does, but most places you'd have a go for at least 30-40 mins before a swap out due to the length of time for app installations on the replacement box. Unless you miracously have a perfect copy to hand of said machine...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Big Brother

iSPY

> Centralising the desktop has upsides and downsides for support staff. The upside is that, done correctly, the IT department gets more control over the desktop, enabling them both to prevent potential problems before they happen, and also to analyse any anomalies more easily from a central point.

It also means you can monitor people, although I don't see how spying on me is going to protect me from the terrorists ..

http://i54.tinypic.com/2cht24n.png

3. Gordon Barret
    Stop

"In some countries now, not a single IT person has ever visited"

Erm, no, I seriously doubt it.

They'll still need someone to:

initially install the thin clients/swap out the old PCs, look after the networking, replacing dodgy thin clients/power supplies (it does happen), replace keyboards filled with coffee and biscuit crumbs, replace monitors/leads, add new network points for new employees etc etc etc.

Ok so the list may be greatly reduced but the list of things to do will still exist.

4. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Go

shock news. Large groups of people in a business do *exactly* the same thing.

And it doesn't need a full spec fully loaded PC running Windows to do it.

A note on surveillance.

It's not *your* PC. It's the companies.

I do hope that the effort they can save supporting *individual* desktop users can go on making sure their network is rock solid.

network downtime -> company down time.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like