back to article Mozilla rejigs Firefox release schedule in nod to Google's Chrome

Mozilla has added a new channel to its Firefox release schedule in a move to release more browser software code at various stages of its pregnancy. The latest tweak to the open-source outfit's roadmap is another clear nod in the direction of Google, which is arguably winning the PR war on the browser front by refreshing its …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Have to laugh

The idea behind Aurora is to provide a buffer for developers between Mozilla's shaky, early nightly builds and beta versions of the popular Firefox browser.

So "Aurora" is just another name for "Alpha" versions then.....

Gotta love marketing driods.....

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Have to laugh

the difference is that the alpha versions have a channel, this means that you can have "nightly alphas" where you can fix a bug in a released alpha very quickly, instead of waiting until the nightly channel is safe (or stopping development work just to fix a stupid little bug).

instead of a nightly "tree" with an alpha "branch" coming off every now and again, its more like there are 2 trees, but every few months the second tree is shipped off to beta and an exact duplicate of the first tree is made to replace it... ok, not the best metaphor.

2. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

I believe Firefox has support for essentially old versions of their browser, who else does?

I mean obviously Microsoft does, Internet Explorer 6 being the extreme case. Opera, I think not so much, but I'm not sure.

It matters when businesses install the software and rely on it on multiple PCs, because if one of your business-critical tools isn't compatible with Firefox 4.x then you're going to want to continue using version 3.6.x for a while, and want to see security updates to it - there, in the form of minor new releases.

3. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Problem is

They will be even flakier and unstable than the final Firefox builds, which are hardly stable...

4. xj25vm

Marketing

For goodness sake fire all the marketing people and let developers get back to doing their work. OS was supposed to be the real thing, not more b**locks blabber and image control, like we are used to receiving from big software companies.

5. HMB
    Alert

Nightly Release Cycle

So long as I've been eating enough fibre, I have a nightly release cycle too!

6. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

I've been testing Moz nightlies from before the m/b days...

...and I admit to being a little disappointed to see Mozilla following Google's lead with more frequent versions/releases. If Google keep to the same versioning system they'll be up to v20something in a few years and it'll all start to look a bit stupid and confusing.

Fewer releases with more emphasis on stability and less on features should be the best way forward. Extensions can take care of features. The manufacturers can also add features via extensions if they want to.

We don't need another pointless bloat war.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like