back to article Libyan network hijacked for rebel cause

A Libyan mobile network has been hijacked by the rebels, who had been reduced to communicating by semaphore, but can now get interrupted by an incoming call like the rest of us. The network, dubbed "Free Libyana", consists of infrastructure bussed in from the UAE and jacked into the existing cellular infrastructure. Free …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Nigel 11
    Thumb Up

You *can* do that!

The lesson for everyone, everywhere, is just what can be accomplished and how fast it can be done, once the army of people who say "no" are ignored, sidelined, sacked, or shot.

2. TeeCee Gold badge
    Coat

<Nokia Tone>

"HELLO? I'M ON THE BASHED UP TOYOTA PICKUP!"

3. Naughtyhorse
    Joke

radio spectrum is a terrific thing for despots to hand over to relatives...

when every decent person knows the correct thing to do is to have ofcom flog off it to assorted footpads, cutpurses and skulking loafers.

4. schnide
    Thumb Up

"But at least those wanting to speak to the rebels can give them a call..

..rather than relying on dropping spies from helicopters only for them to be captured by local farmers."

Comment of the day.

(These pages needs a 'Win' icon).

5. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

obvious question

So if the rebels have hacked the mobile network, does that mean that right now in some sandy port city, an older gentleman is telling the trooper at a government roadblock "these aren't the droids you're looking for"?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Paris Hilton

or in this day and age...

Maybe Motorola/the Libyana network should run commercials with long-dead and now digitally rendered Alec Guiness flogging mobile phones/service from a sandspeeder using the tagline "This is the Droid you are looking for!!!" :)

Sorry about prostituting your childhood memories, but there is money in it so it had to be done....

The Reg needs to add an "in it for the money!" icon, please.

Speaking of "in it for the money", here's Paris!!

1. Asiren
        Big Brother

Er...

Doesn't she "let it in" for the money...?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Haven't they heard of OpenBTS?

Surely there is still net access in certain places - OpenBTS and wireless backhaul FTW?

7. kennsmi
    Flame

ffs my head hurts and my guts puke with despair

...so, let me get this straight, these ones are 'Rebels' and not 'Terrorists'...and the reason being that, until recently anyway, Mr Gaddafi was an ally of the 'Axis of 'Good''™...you know, when he was being all repentant and allowing the exploitation of Libyan resources and people by Western Interests...

...riiiiight, and before that he was 'Bad'...for the years of wanting a better personal deal/resisting exploitation...

...no mention if the 'Rebels'/'Terrorists' are 'Good' or not...but being supported by Western Interests the message is they must be 'Good'...and Gaddafi is 'Bad' so 'Good' + 'Bad' = 'Double Good Good'...obviously...

Of course, the media seems strangely quiet on any attrocities being committed by the 'Good' side...they must be the most saintly 'Rebels'/'Terrorists' ever.

On the news I just heard a reporter pretty much saying something like Gaddafi killed the children...himself, barehanded, with a roadside bomb...why oh why won't someone, anyone <who isn't on the Sex Offender Register> think of the children...

ffs this world is a crock of shit, misinformation and corruption and it makes me sick to the core

1. Steve Evans

@kennsmi

Next you'll be saying the "Terrorists" now in Afghanistan used to be "Freedom fighters against the Soviet aggressor" supplied and trained by the USA.

Sorry, what was that?

Oh...

8. NogginTheNog
    Happy

Roaming?

Do they have all that sorted with the 'original' network owner back in Tripoli..?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like