back to article No stranger to the moleskin trouser

A website called MySpace is 'in a death spiral' according to Mr Robert Scoble, who attributes this unhappy state to its being implemented using Microsoft .NET technology, and because it is headquartered in Los Angeles, where apparently there aren't enough good programmers. Slightly cross-eyed with concentration at his three- …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. BorkedAgain
    Happy

More Stob goodness.

But does it scale?

1. Jon Double Nice

I love it when people drop that one in a meeting

I always want to point out to them that they may as well ask "Can it be milked", but I want to keep my job.

2. lawndart

says:

Since it has been pointed out to me that the hash symbol is properly an "octothorpe" I have been mentally translating C# as "Coctothorpe", which sounds like a small hamlet to where Scottish incomprehensible-lyriced bands retire.

Are moleskin breeks common north of the border?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

To paraphrase Rutherford

C++ is the only real programming language. The rest are just stamp collecting.

1. Martin
      FAIL

C++ ???

Real programmers use C.

1. Steven Knox
        Boffin

C!?

C is for programmers who are lacking one or more of:

A. the strength of will to choose an architecture and be done with it,

B. the ability to remember which registers hold what data, and/or

C. the vision to see the structure of your application as it flows through RAM, cache RAM, and the processor pipeline.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

How to pronounce an underscore.

Funny that you should think of click languages... one of my colleagues at a job I was working at back in '94-'95 finally got tired of saying "underscore" out loud when reading out code or URLs to people and so invented a phoneme for it, which we all adopted. It's pronounced as a nasal sniff/back-of-the-throat snort and using it saved us loads of time in work-related conversations!

1. JJS
      Boffin

Informative how-to video on the topic

Victor Borge has taken care of all these problems for us:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lF4qii8S3gw

1. John H Woods Silver badge

Thank you so much

EOM

5. Mike Bell
    Grenade

C++ is for babies.

Assembler, that's what you want. Or microcode if you're the kind of person who likes wearing barbed-wire under your shirt. And while we're at it, every single line of SQL should be composed by hand and brought to life by a stored procedure.

Just look at what happened with HAL in 2001 if you want an example of how you can be really let down by high-level languages!

</sarcasm>

1. The lone lurker

Got your sarcasm,

but HAL was let down by the poor quality of his programming!

6. Rattus Rattus

Good stuff

but too kind to .NET I feel.

7. Mr Larrington
    Paris Hilton

Meh!

What's wrong with FORTRAN?

8. Il Midga di Macaroni
    Heart

Love it!

Verity if you keep writing like this I'm going to be slapped with an ASBO for excessive loud laughter.

9. Robert Fletcher
    Thumb Up

Best. Simile. Evah.

"like an unexpected potato plant found growing in the compost heap, "

This topic is closed for new posts.