back to article Brits won't get PSP price cut, says Sony

UK gamers aren't going to enjoy the benefits of the €50 (£44) price cut Sony has just applied to the PlayStation Portable. PSPgo According to the consumer electronics giant, its Euro-Yen exchange rate wobbles that have allowed it to knock the PSP from €180 to €130 (£159 to £115), but with the Sterling-Yen rate being where it …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Murphy's Lawyer
    Headmaster

It's Sony...

After flogging honest consumers "music discs" with rootkits, and arbitrarialy removing what PS3 owners can do with kit they've bought, they're on my "boycott for life" list.

(Goes back to infantile DS handheld...)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

que

When did they remove what you could do on teh PS3? None of the updates have been compulsory.

1. The BigYin

@AC

Yes, they are compulsory if:

---You want to use network play

---Play newer games (these demand more recent firmware)

So saying the updates are not compulsory is a total crock.

Sony sold the PS3 as advertised with the "Other OS" option and then arbitrarily removed it. Why consumer organisations the world over haven't spanked Sony to hell and back beats me.

There again, Sony were not adequately punished for the rootkits. (Yes, I know they were on BMG discs, but BMG is just a subsidiary of Sony, ergo Sony are responsible)

2. Neil 8
        Stop

Compulsory to choose what you lose

It's true that the firmware upgrade wasn't compulsory, but if you don't do it then you can't play games online, which is also one of the features people paid for.

So, having paid your money for both features, you're given the choice of losing Unix or losing online games. Making a choice was compulsory.

2. HollyHopDrive

Never fails to amaze me...

It never fails to amaze me that when the exchange rate is in our favour that it is never passed on, but when it's the other way around it is. (Or isn't in this case. iygwim)

And it's not just sony. Seems all the big corporates are guilty. Have you seen how much cheaper a mac is in the us?

Good to see rip off Britain is still alive and well.

3. Anne Frank

PSP?? are they still selling these??

mine has been languishing in my drawer gathering dust for the best part of 5 years..... totally shit handheld, and doesn't have Professor Layton!!!!

UMD was such a shocking failure, look at what Nintendo did with their handhelds - made them all the more interesting and after the recent marketing campaign, I need a 3DS now....

4. David Austin

title

Most important bit of info is missing; is this on the PSP-go (As Pictured), or the PSP-3000 (The latest revision of the "Classic" PSP)?

Because PSP-go is a really tough sell at any price: It has no disk drive, so you can't use store bought PSP Games, Only PlayStation Network games. This immediately cuts you out of the 2nd hand/cut price games market, and a lot of games don't have a PSN Release (Lots of the older games, but post-go games as well, such as Kingdom Hearts)

in contrast, the PSP-3000 has PSN Access and a UMD Drive, giving you the best of both worlds, as long as you give it a decent sized memory stick Duo.

5. David Wood

Importing from euro zone

So if I order one from amazon.fr to the UK, do I have to pay UK VAT in the import? Otherwise by my estimates you could buy one for approx £115 + P&P.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

One hit only

If you're buying is as a consumer in France (i.e. paying their tax), you don't need to pay VAT here on top.

If somehow you can avoid paying the French tax then you'll have to pay HMRC's 20% VAT.

IANL but hopefully someone from HMRC can validate.

1. Richard 12 Silver badge

Yes, that's the way it works

You only ever pay VAT in one EU country. As a 'normal' consumer, you'll almost always pay VAT in the 'supplier country'.

- This is the reason Amazon's "Indigo Starfish" exists, and why you pay Luxembourg VAT on Skype transactions. Internet businesses like that can play the EU VAT system for maximum benefit.

On the other hand, if you're a business then you can usually avoid paying foreign VAT at all.

Life gets more fun when shipping EU imports directly to the customer...

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Meanwhile...

... Sony aren't going to enjoy the benefits of pocketing my hard earned money at all. However, that will be more than compensated by numerous Sony fanboys who will willingly carrry on being ripped off. So everybody's happy I guess.

7. squilookle
    Go

Wouldn't have bought one anyway.

I'm happy enough with my DS, despite SCEA CEO Jack Tretton's comment "no self-respecting 20-something is going to be sitting on an airplane with one of those. He's too old for that"*. :)

*http://uk.gamespot.com/news/6307549.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=newstop&tag=newstop%3Btitle%3B6

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

just a second

nobody's mentioning how unfair it was before when it was retailing in the EU for €180, which when I last checked is more than £130...

9. Paul Crolla

Forgive me if I'm a numpty....

However 1 Euro buys 122.2 Yen (google rate for simplicity), 1 GBP buys 138.6 YEN

So in Yen the UK version costs 18016Yen and the Euro version 14058Yen giving a 28% difference in price. Since the VAT rate is fairly similar throughout the Euro zone roughly 18-21% and the UK is 20% there doesn't seem to be any sensible reason for the difference....

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like