back to article Office for Mac 2011 SP1 calendar won't sync with Apple MobileMe

Microsoft has taken a swipe at Apple for making changes to its MobileMe service, which effectively blocks Office for Mac 2011 users from synchronising their Outlook calendars with their iPhones and iPads. "I want to share more detail on a particular limitation that Apple is introducing with their new version of MobileMe," …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Horns

Not the only thing Apple screwed up

Its Google Calendar and Calendar Sync to the Exchange Server for me. Apple Mail stopped talking to Exchange servers as of 21st Jan 2011, so "hello" Entourage.

(insert Disappointed Fanboi icon)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yep

What cynic 2 said (below)

2. Michael C

what?

Apple mail talks to Exchange just fine, http://www.apple.com/macosx/exchange/. 2007 or higher. perhaps your exchange is still on 2003 (which was dropped)?

This is about Microsoft's product that doesn't support CalDAV, the defacto STANDARD, and lacking that support it can't talk to Mobile.me (and a LOT of other calendar services). It can still talk locally to apple sync services, which will sync Outllok to Mail and Calendar and then THEY will sync to mobile.me, and outlook still talks mail and contract to Mobile.me just fine, but calendar is out because MICROSOFT failed to add support for the industry standard, and Apple's old way has to go for security reasons.

2. clanger9
    WTF?

Is this true?

According to Apple, "The new MobileMe Calendar uses the CalDAV standard", so presumably this is A Good Thing.(?)

Can't Office For Mac 2011 use CalDAV, in which case it'll work just fine without needing to rely on the proprietary Mac OS Sync Service...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Standards and Microsoft?

Outlook 2001 doesn't support CalDAV at all, and I don't know why they decided to hook into sync services and then complain about MobileMe calendar moving away from that when Apple have made that public knowledge for around a year.

Of course, this is Microsoft we're talking about so nothing should surprise you

2. Michael C

it could

but Microsoft, after more than a year of notice (publicly, who knows how long the Mac BU knew about it), failed to implement it. Microsoft does not want to support CalDAV as it is one more thing others can do without Exchange, and Exchange is the crack that hooks organizations to Microsoft.

3. cynic 2
    Jobs Halo

Davmail

Apple Mail works nicely with Exchange if you use the DavMail gateway:

http://davmail.sourceforge.net/macosxsetup.html

I gave up on Entourage when Microsoft pushed out an update that would crash it on random mouse clicks and left it like that for weeks.

4. uhuznaa

Bullshit

Apple has transitioned to CalDAV which not only is a standard (and as such of course totally incompatible with everything MS), this was planned and talked about from about 2006 on. Hardly surprising, really.

1. John G Imrie

But this is micosoft

The King of vaporware.

Apparently they don't believe other people's product road-maps either.

2. Dan 55 Silver badge
      WTF?

Um?

If Apple have transitioned to CalDAV, why do we still have everything apart from MobileMeh using Sync Services?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Horns

Re: Office for Mac 2011 SP1

Change the way your app syncs. Not that big of a deal.

Steve

Sent from my iPhone

6. John Styles

This is known as...

Maslow's hierachy of nerds.

If there is an incompatability between a Unix / Linux program and a Mac it is the fault of the Mac,

if there is an incompatability between a Unix / Linux program and/or a Mac program and a Microsoft program it is the fault of the Microsoft program.

This is a long established axiom which must not be questioned.

1. enerider
      WTF?

Did you even read the article?

The incompatibility is between a Microsoft product and an Apple product!

There was no mention of Unix/ Linux/ <Open Sauce OS kernel here> until your post!

But don't let me stand in between you and a good Linux bashing...

7. Stumpy
    Grenade

Sod that ...

When the hell are Microsoft going to clean up Outlook for Mac so that it correctly supports .PST files as on the PC?

I have archives of 10 years worth of mail containing code and client correspondence which I can't access on my Mac without importing the whole PST file into Outlook in its entirety ... no bloody good if I just want to open the thing to search for a particular piece of information....

1. Michael C

never

in fact, they'll be moving away from the .pst itself on PC sooner rather than later. Why? Because every time you change 1 item in the PST, the whole frelling multi-GB file shows up in your nightly backup. Worse, when open, the file is locked and can not be backed up on most systems. Time Machine can't support that, Windows image backup chokes on it, and when storing PSTs remotely on servers, their nightly backup is either massive, or admins ignore the PST file entirely in backup.

Also, HFS+ is much more efficint than NTFS dealing with this type of data. NTFS handles very poorly massive directories of thousands (or millions) of files, as would be in a long e-mail history. Linux systems can use library files to mask this data-set from the larger file system, and OS X ties these libraries further into extensions of the file system, allowing other apps to either see them as a single file or a directory or both. WinFS was reported to introduce such features, but it has yet to materialize.

As for mounting a PST on a MAC, there are conversion tools. If it;s an archive, simple create a new container, import the PST into it, then close it and only use it when you need to (you do not have to merge the PST in your current mail account).

8. Stephen 10

True CalDAV is an internet standard

But by by no means, the standard. Support seems pretty limited and it's essentially an Apple-Oracle thing. I can understand Microsoft's reluctance to throw resources into supporting it.

Just be glad that you're not stuck in the horror that is Lotus Notes on Mac like me (or any platform from what I can see).

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like