back to article Carphone Warehouse makes Motorola Xoom cheaper

Carphone Warehouse has reduced the price of the upcoming Motorola Xoom 3G: it now wants a colossal 20 quid less for the 10in Android 3.0 Honeycomb tablet than it did yesterday. When CW first posted a price for the Xoom - due to arrive around the middle of the month - it was charging a penny less than £600 for the tablet. Now …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Robert E A Harvey
    Thumb Down

Yawn

20 of your earth currency units off?

Wake me up when it costs less than 250

1. DrXym

Buy another tablet

The Xoom is stuffed with superfluous stuff like 3g, 32GB storage etc. to justify its high price. If it's too much for you, buy another tablet. There will probably be a dozen Android 3.0 tablets by the year end and some of them will be considerably cheaper than the Xoom.

Tablets will also start competing against each other for price rather than what the iPad costs. So even if you absolutely wanted a Xoom, chances are the price will drop and Motorola will fill out the range with models which aren't so high spec.

1. Robert E A Harvey

But

But my Dell mini-10 has 3G, a 64Gb ssd, 3 usb plug'oles, wired and wifi ethernet, bluetooth, and a Sd slot, camera, microphone, two speakers, and 8 hours worth of batteries. Oh, and a gb of ram, and an atom cpu

And it has a hinge and a keyboard .

and cost me 199 quid. OK it doesn't have a touch screen, but it came with a fabric stuffsack. for 199 quid.

2. TeeCee Gold badge
    Happy

"...there's no fair use limit...."

So less a tablet, more a multifunction tethered modem then?

1. Bakunin
      FAIL

RE: "...there's no fair use limit...."

I'd place good money on the fact that there will be fair use limits before the year is out. I see a bait and switch on a shiny new gadget.

(Fail for Carphone Warehouse not you TeeCee)

1. Steve Evans

Re: RE: "...there's no fair use limit...."

I've yet to see a "fair use" clause that was even vaguely fair!

FYI, the 3 all you can eat has a limit of 80Gig, now that I call fair... Hell BT do a home infinity package with a lower monthly limit!

They'd be stupid to do a bait and switch on anyone who has a current contract. If they do that they've cancelled the existing contract, so you're out and free, with the tablet.

3. Dirk Vandenheuvel
    Grenade

Waste of money

Looks like Motorola will be looking for a landfill spot soonish.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Doomed

Wait until October - you'll be able to pick these up for £250 or less then.

Too little, too late - no radical innovation (not thinner, not lighter, no compelling difference to the competition. OK, cameras seem good).

5. Pete 43
    Troll

Spendy

I mean a few hundred more and you've could get a Mac book air

6. TonyHoyle

Marketing never ceases to amaze me

'Never pay for the internet.. only £25 a month'.

That's about double what the average DSL connection costs these days..

7. DSL Angel
    Stop

Stop using CW for Carphone Warehouse

Stop using CW for Carphone Warehouse, CW is Cable and Wireless, CPW is Carphone Warehouse , hope you are now clear on that!

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The title is required, and must contain letters and/or digits.

Having played with both iPad2 and Xoom for a few nights (took demo units home - hence AC) I don't I'll be upgrading my original iPad for either.

The Android on the Xoom is lovely and the screen is far nicer than iPad1&2 but it feels too bulky and heavy along with feeling a little plasticy, and there's still a few apps for iOS that aren't quite there on Android.

The iPad 2 is the perfect weight and thickness, it's far nicer to hold for long periods of time than the original iPad or the xoom but I really with Apple had fitted a better screen.

I suppose I'll be waiting for iPad 3 to see it there's a better screen unless someone comes up with an Andriod 3 tablet that really tickles my fancy.

Unless the Xoom comes now a good bit...

9. K
    FAIL

Eee Pad Transfer ... WIN!

I'll never buy another Motorola or Samsung product again, I'm just disappointed with their ability to deliver to market. I've now ordered an Eee Pad, at least ASUS have kept their release date promise, and will get taking delivery of it tomorrow.

10. OffBeatMammal

about 300 quid too much

looking at alternatives via sites like merimobile you can pick up a decent enough android (2.2) based tablet for about 150 incl shipping. as a first gen device to play with while we wait for commodity pricing that's about right

of course before long Amazon will give them away free with an ebook...

1. Robert E A Harvey

yep

Even our backstreet computer store has a 7" android 1.x for 99 quid, and a 10" 2.2 for 200.

Both are a bit slow, but both have gps and usb ports.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

Make it as Cheap as they want, but if they hae none to sell who cares

No one seems to have this tablet, no one has dates when available.

Does it really exist, with no info that IPAD2 which is in stock in the apple store right next door, is looking good..... i.e. I can get one

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like