back to article Salt Lake City goes wallet-free with Isis

Operator consortium Isis has selected Salt Lake City as its flagship deployment to show the rest of the USA what NFC can do for them. The plan will see Salt Lake City's public transport system accepting pay-by-wave from a mobile phone by the middle of next year. Retailers have also been encouraged to adopt Near Field …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Steve X
    Thumb Down

keep their secure element in the SIM

If the secure element is in the SIM and so managed by companies that aren't banks, and aren't subject to banking law, does that mean that in case of fraud the punter is unprotected? Does delegating this function to the SIM mean that said punter has also violated bank rules on keeping secret info secret, and so isn't protected by the bank either?

Sounds like a losing proposition for the user, to me.

2. martin burns
    Coat

Yes but can you...

...buy a decent cup of coffee with it?

Yeah, the one with the Starbucks card in the top pocket, ta.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Go

Did I read this right....

....in that you are implying starbucks make a decent cup of coffee?!?

If so might I suggest the moderatrix ban you to a dark corner until you've had a chance to think long and hard about what you've just said.

If not, then sorry, my bad.

1. DrXym

What exactly is wrong with Starbucks?

They make coffee you ask for it. It tastes fresh. It's coffee. Someone explain.

Argue against them for their trade practices, or the price of their coffees. But the actual product tastes exactly like it should - coffee.

I don't really get coffee snobbery in the slightest. Even McDonalds make a reasonable cup of coffee. Not surprising really when all you need to do is pour hot water over ground coffee through a filter and serve it.

1. Steve X
          Thumb Down

starbucks coffee?

It's thin, bitter and has hardly any flavour. It bears the same resemblance to coffee that Bud does to beer. Which is probably why Americans like it.

Surprisingly, though, Starbucks in the US does know how to make a decent cup of tea. Good tea (Tazo) and *boiling* water.

1. DrXym

No experience any of those things

It tastes to me like coffee. I've never thought, hmm this is weak. It's coffee. It comes in a bunch of varieties and styles. I can ask the person to make it a certain way if I want. I can add as much milk as I like. I have more objection to Starbucks for being expensive and driving out independents rather than any inherent quality or lack thereof of their product.

As for tea, the best tea is served by greasy spoons. Scientifically proven.

3. DrXym

Well thought out plan

I can't see any problems at all with requiring people to pull their expensive phones out of their pockets at prominent public locations and wave them around in a highly visible way. No problems at all. It sure beats embedding virtually identical functionality into a plastic card. Yes indeed.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Decent Coffee in SLC?

SLC is about 48% Mormon. Good Mormons don't drink coffee. What are the odds of finding decent coffee in SLC?

1. Stephen Hart
      Pint

9th and 9th

I'd suggest Coffe Garden at 9th and 9th. Excellent, as are many other independent coffee shops in Salt Lake City. Plus we have Starbucks up the wazoo just like everywhere else.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Coat

Forget coffee

Stuff tastes nasty anyway. Although there's a nice shop on 4th and 3rd that has misc other drinks.

5. dnblack
    Alert

SLC population

The city proper is only about 190k people, which is really only downtown Salt Lake, but the transit system it serves is the greater SLC area, which is closer to 1m, nowhere near a comparison to Northampton. This is a fairly good size for sample and should be robust enough a test.

6. Graham Bartlett

Anyone else see the irony...

... of a bunch of fundamentalist (and, frankly, simply mental) Christians being the first in line for something named after a pagan Egyptian goddess?

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

Nope

Considering Christianity, rooted from Judasim, which was itself influenced heavily by ancient Egyptian mythology due to the intermingling of their cultures (yes, slavery can be considered that as well), and if you recall, the first 5 books of the bible [or Torah] were written by Moses, who we all should know was after the Egyptian slavery....), then no, no irony at all.

As for the "simply mental" part, that's just a trolling comment. Might as well poke at Puritans and Baptists while you're at it.

7. Blubster
    Coat

NFC?

No Fucking Cash (required)

8. Ammaross Danan
    Go

So...

"...as well as flooding the area with NFC handsets and SIM chips."

Does that mean they're discounting NFC-equiped Droids? I'll buy one! :)

9. T Bonham
    Jobs Horns

Bunch of Tools!

You tools will be the first to line up for a microchip in your wrist to follow and track your every purchase, movement and action. Just so your don't have to carry cash? Go back to your sorry existence of a life at the Star Trek convention.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like