back to article Toshiba readies 'cinema specs' 3D TVs

Toshiba could have 40in-plus glasses-free 3D TV sets - the ZL2 family - out in Europe by the end of the year, but specs-essential sets based on cinema-style passive technology on sale much sooner. Toshiba released its first glasses-less 3D TVs in Japan late last year. Sales have been described as disappointing, a point company …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Passive 3D TV

Are MUCH better- we have a couple of JVC 46" TVs with REALD cinema glasses, much better brightness, colour and picture than active sets. Only problem is that they cost about 5grand.

The reason makers like the active sets is that there is no real change from a standard 120Hz TV to an active set - other than flogging you a 100quid transmitter ad a few pairs of 200quid glasses.

ps. If you don't like the early 60s Michael Caine, cinema glasses - there are a bunch of companies that do fashion versions, even clip-on sunglasses style if you wear specs.

2. netean

Just because you can doesn't mean you should

Perhaps sales are disappointing in Japan because 3d is a pointless technology that gives little (or no) benefit to the programme or film being watched. Far from enhancing the viewing experience, 3D Cinema or TV just ads more distraction.

Just because you can build a glasses-less 3d television doesn't mean you should.

Perhaps rather than silly gimmickery to entice people to watch their incredibly expensive television sets, they should invest the money into production companies making more engaging and less gimmicky television programming.

3. NoneSuch Silver badge
    FAIL

Hmmmmm

"you won't get 1080p 3D playback - more like 540p, as half of the vertical resolution is used for each eye's view."

So I pay twice as much for something half as good as what I have now.

As Dr. Evil would say, "Riiiiiiiggggghhhhhtttttttttttt......"

4. TonyHoyle

It may well work

Since broadcast 3D (both Sky and VM) is side by side and half horizontal resolution anyway... I bet it'd knacker gaming though.

That said, I have zero interest in active systems.. £100 for a pair of glasses that might potentially break/be sat on/etc. is a complete nonstarter. The LG passive can be had for as little as £800 now, but it apparently isn't much cop on the 2D front so still waiting.

The future really is much higher horizontal resolutions.. Displays will eventually need need to do that anyway to increase the resolution in the Z direction (which is a tiny fraction of the X resolution, due to the way 3d works).

5. David Hicks
    Thumb Down

Where's the content?

I have a 3d tv - I was in the market for a new telly and thought I may as well - but so far I'm not seeing the compelling content. I haven't used 3D mode in months.

AFAICT there were a few demo/launch games hastily adapted for it by Sony, a couple of animated films reworked for it and.... that's it.

I quite like the technology, but there's no way to use it much at present

6. ravenviz Silver badge
    FAIL

NO glasses!

Give me 3D without glasses and I'm in. Even if there's little content, the other Register article about the still-working ancient TV only had two hours service/day when it was bought, you have to start somewhere. But no glasses please, it's a dead end.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like