back to article Google may face 'broad US antitrust probe'

The US Federal Trade commission is considering a broad antitrust investigation of Google's search business, according to a report citing two people familiar with the matter. Bloomberg reports that before launching a probe, the FTC is waiting to see if the Department of Justice will challenge Google's proposed acquisition of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. jake Silver badge

Whatever.

google's machinations are like watching a slow-motion train wreck.

Humans, as a whole, are incredibly sheep-like.

It'll all end in tears. Not mine, mind. I refuse to have anything to do with google ...

1. hexx

why is title required?

funny you say that, i switched from google few weeks ago to see if i can find alternatives and/or live without google services.

And I haven't looked back.

For search I use https://duckduckgo.com and for email I use MobileMe.

I liked google a lot when they started but then something has gone wrong. it's the sheer number of acquisitions and unfinished products, then Buzz fiasco and ads in gmail - no thanks.

But I still hope for better days for Google with Larry as CEO.

2. Robert E A Harvey
    Coat

Is it just me?

I read the title as 'Broad US antithrust probe' and my eyes started to water.

Put that white coat away!

3. Ian Michael Gumby
    Black Helicopters

Do ya think?

"The DoJ is investigating whether Google could use its web search monopoly to hamper competition in the vertical flight search market, but it may also be asking the broader question of whether the company's search dominance could lead to another monopoly in virtually any vertical search market."

Geez what do you call it when you have a monopoly on search and ad generation where you can fix the prices and 'black box' your algorithms because you don't want them 'gamed' and then use your gains to subsidize entries in to other markets? Oh and when I say subsidize, I mean enter the market reducing the fair market price to zero such that you starve the competition out?

Ok, so that's Google taking a lesson out of Microsoft's playbook. Lesson 2 that they stole will be, litigating it for years, spending millions forcing the US Government to spend millions until the US courts determine that Google is a monopoly, then appeal it taking more time, all the while still racking up billions. The lawsuits are just the cost of doing business.

We've seen it before, and while the outcome is predictable, we still have to go through the motions.

Of course Google has been planning for this day...

You have Google lobbyists now working for the White House, and Schmidt looking for an appointment to another government job. Unlike Microsoft, Google is borging the US Government...

The Black Choppers not because of the government, but Google's sekret ops team ... ;-)

4. Turtle
    Happy

Very enjoyable article!

Thanks for a very enjoyable article! I am looking forward to reading many, many more like it.

5. LJRich

Monopoly

How come there's only one Monopolies Commission?

</oooooold>

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like