back to article Acer Android tablets priced

Acer's 7in Android 3.0 Honeycomb tablet, the Iconia A100, will be out later this month for 300 quid. So says Amazon.co.uk, which says that those 300 notes will buy you 8GB of storage, a 1024 x 600 display, Bluetooth and 2.4GHz 802.11n. Acer Iconia A100 at Amazon.co.uk The online retailer also lists an A100 at £400, but the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. James Cooke
    FAIL

Overpriced

When these things were netbooks a 7" got £200 max. I don't see why now that the early adopter price gouging has been done by Apple that other companies feel they need to doom their product by doing the same.

1. Giles Jones Gold badge

Think it through

1. Netbooks don't have capacitive touch screens.

2. Netbooks sit on desks or laps, people plug them into the mains.

3. Netbooks are bulkier.

4. Netbooks run existing operating systems.

So to produce a tablet you need a better design (slimmer), more expensive screen and large capacity batteries that are small enough to cram into a smaller tablet casing. You also need a team of software developers to compile and configure Android for the device.

They're more challenging to design and use more expensive parts.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Think it through

1. Netbooks don't have capacitive touch screens.

No, but they have a keyboards-worth of mechanical keys. I'd say it's a toss-up between which is more costly, especially since capacitive screens have been around for a long time now, so their manufacturing processes must be highly optimised.

2. Netbooks sit on desks or laps, people plug them into the mains.

The battery life of some six-cell machines is in the 10 hour range, so I disagree that the battery technology is somehow cheaper or inferior to that found in tablets.

3. Netbooks are bulkier.

That's just a consequence of the design differences between a netbook and a tablet. For a start the keyboard adds considerably to the bulk. Also, the screen of a netbook needs to have have protection and rigidity as it acts as a cover.

4. Netbooks run existing operating systems. You also need a team of software developers to compile and configure Android for the device.

I thought one of the main reasons for using an open source OS like android was that it saved money? My 9" netbook came with XP and even with the Windows tax I picked it up for considerably less than £200. Also, the original Asus eeePC came with a specially configured version of linux and I don't remember it being all that expensive.

The bottom line is that all these tablets have to be significantly less expensive than the market leader, the iPad, to be successful. I'm familiar with both android and iOS and unfortunately, as things stand, the former really is not as polished as the latter. If they want consumers to plump for the second rate option, then it must come with a second rate price tag.

2. GettinSadda

You missed it

"The online retailer also lists an A100 at £400, but the listed specification is identical to that of the £300."

You may need to look harder - it says "3G" at the end of the description of the £400 one.

Also, is it just me, or does the iPad 2 still look a good deal compared to these (and no I am not a fanboi!)

3. PaulR79
    Flame

The clue is in the screencap

It says "3G" on the end for the £399 version but I doubt I'm the only person to point this out. I'm glad to see a Honeycomb tablet at a price that is reasonable for the WiFi only version and not stretching it too far for a 3G version. Roll on the sensible pricing!

4. Magnus Ramage
    Welcome

Specs

ZDNet Australia have specs on this: http://www.zdnet.com.au/acer-iconia-a100-339312400.htm

Looks pretty nice, especially if the £300 price tag holds. Just gradually we're beginning to see sensible pricing (closer to netbooks) for tablets. But I'll wait for the reviews.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Just gradually we're beginning to see sensible pricing (closer to netbooks) for tablets."

What I actually think we are seeing in this instance is a company that is prepared to use cheaper materials and take a considerably thinner margin. My experience with Acer products hasn't been great (my A110 went back twice for a series of HW failures) and as a result I'm sceptical that this will be any different. YMMV. Like you, I'll wait for the reviews. Potentially good price though.

5. Albert Lederer
    Happy

512 KB RAM

hrm. seems a bit limited at 512KB

1. Big_Ted
      Jobs Halo

Why ????

The ipad 1 managed with 256k and the ipad2 manages with 512k so why will it limit this ?

1. jai

ignorance

Probably because the types who buy Android kit have no real idea about how RAM is used on tablet devices and wonder why it doesn't have 16gb like their desktop pc has.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

check your units

there's a big difference between KB and MB, 1024 times in fact

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

8GB flash only?

How is that SD card support update for Honeycomb coming along?

7. Neil Lewis

Not a netbook spec

While it would be nice to see these things dropping in price, the comparison with early 7" netbooks misses at least one important point - the cost of touchscreen hardware vs a keyboard. It would be interesting to have a comparison of the relative cost of both before accusing Acer and others of price gouging.

8. SKiNFreak
    Jobs Horns

Ipad does look a good deal

Apple's pricing is a master stroke in this regard - these Andoird tablets do seem a little over priced although I would say I would happily pay £300 for a 7" tab. Homeycomb would make all the difference over the Galaxy Tab I reckon - the only thing that throws a spanner in the works is the normal 3G Galaxy Tab can be had for another £50.

I argue that 3G is not necessary especially if you get BT opendworld as your ISP as you could access wifi from virtually anywhere anyway...

But Apple's pricing is going to cause trouble for Android vendors - who seem to think they can price a product to be competative because their hardware is better. Punter speak in pounds and will not give a damn about a tablet being tegra equipped if if costs the as or more than an ipad, but does not have the Apple logo. Samsung, Motorola, HTC and even Acer all need to agressively price to get their products off the ground, AND ensure they are as good as the iPad. Any 10 inch pad needs to be £50 cheaper for an quivalent spec with memory and 3G connection to stand a chance.

A £600 HTC flyer is not going to sell oven though it looks like the best device on paper. That needs to be going for the same prices as these Acers...

9. Chris Haynes
    Go

Confusingly-named tablets doomed to fail?

Me: "I have an iPad 2."

Someone else: "I have an Aspire Iconia Tab A101 XE.H6REN.006."

Another: "I have an Aspire Iconia Tab A101 XE.H6TEN.006."

Apple's marketing strategy is to keep things simple. Call it an iPad and release version 2 about a year later, then iPad 3 a year after that. We know that the iPad 3 will be better than the iPad 2 because Apple's strategy clearly defines it.

Acer will continue to bring out multiple different models with different specs, and no one will be any the wiser about which is better until you compare specs. Just give the product a simple name and you'll get people buying it. The Samsung Galaxy and Motorola Xoom are the only non-Apple tablets I've heard of because they have names that people remember.

Yes, Acer are covering all their bases by offering various models to suit everyone, but the iPad and iPad 2 aren't failing because one size fits all; they are winning because one size fits all. They are winning because your average Joe customer *doesn't care* that it doesn't have a mini-USB port or an SD card slot. They just want something to work, and it does.

Acer won't grab significant market share per model, but the iPad will, and is.

10. Marcus Aurelius
    Grenade

Do not compare against Galaxy Tab

The Iconia uses a souped up dual core A9 with Tegra 2 graphics (similar to iPad2)

The Tab is an A8 device (performance similar to iPad1),

However a new "Sooper Tab" with 9" screen and similar specs is coming soon.

11. Andy J Poulton
    Paris Hilton

Hmmm, £300 for a 7 incher

It better be good, I shelled out £300 for a 10.1 incher, Archos 101 to be precise and the price has fallen since then. OK, so it runs 2.2 not Honeycomb but I suspect that rooting may sort that one out.

It has 16Gb on board, a useful MiniSD card slot, a full USB socket for USB memory, keyboard, mouse, HDMI to drive a monitor, projector or to act as a pretty useful media player for the TV, N wifi and full access to Marketplace [supplied with the Tablet - not a hack]

11 Hours battery life, bluetooth and great usability and the lack of 3G is easily overcome with a BlueTooth tether to my phone

Paris = well all this talk of 7, 8 and 10 inchers is kinda self explanatory

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like