back to article Labour MP says police should clamp down on online incitement

Police need to clamp down not just on violent protesters, but also on the twits – and any other social networkers – who encourage them online. That was the view expressed by Labour Shadow Treasury Minister, David Hanson, who intervened during debate on last weekend's violent events in the centre of London, to remind the home …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

We need a better word than "extremism"

How about "crimethink"?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Repressive measures from a labour MP

Who would have thunk it an MP wants to criminalise legal behaviour to prevent protest.

Does he really believe that he was elected to push for repressive legislation?

1. Graham Marsden
      Thumb Up

Re:Who would have thunk it

"The Home Secretary, Theresa May, who has hitherto shown herself refreshingly reluctant to take on new police powers where existing ones would do,"

Who would have thunk this either!

3. Ooo-wait-BUT!
    Paris Hilton

Someone forgot we signed this...

Article 2.

Everyone is entitled to all the rights and freedoms set forth in this Declaration, without distinction of any kind, such as race, colour, sex, language, religion, political or other opinion, national or social origin, property, birth or other status. Furthermore, no distinction shall be made on the basis of the political, jurisdictional or international status of the country or territory to which a person belongs, whether it be independent, trust, non-self-governing or under any other limitation of sovereignty.

Article 19.

Everyone has the right to freedom of opinion and expression; this right includes freedom to hold opinions without interference and to seek, receive and impart information and ideas through any media and regardless of frontiers.

Paris knows all about self expression.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Unhappy

Ironically.

The labour government was a major driving force behind the Human Rights Act.

Oh how the mighty have fallen.

4. Debe
    Flame

Another stupid comment from the glorious leaders of the country.

Why are all ministers, and for that matter pretty much all MP’s totally incompetent. Is there a test where unless they write in purple crayon and manage to spell their name wrong at the top they’re told they cant be leaders of our country?

I would truly love to believe that whatever their politics, all of our politicians are doing what they honestly believe is right for the country and for everyone living in the country.

But it would be like pretending to your parents that you believe that “Mr Hamster” has gone on holiday, when you really know that he’s probarbly under that suspiciously freshly dug earth patch at the bottom of the garden.

1. Tony S

Power corrupts

I suspect that *most* politicians do actually go into it for the right reasons; i.e. to try to do the right thing.

Unfortunately, once they are in office, things change. It's very easy to rationalise spending a few extra pounds on some cakes; you're working late. Then a claim for an overnight stay because you were working late. Next, you have to attend that event because it is relevant to the people in the constituency next to yours... and eventually we end up with people that believe they are always right because they know what "our best interests" are. It happens at all levels, from parish council to HoP and to all political colours.

Cynical; moi? Damn straight, and with a helthy dose of scepticism.

2. Blofeld's Cat
      Unhappy

The late Mr Hamster

When she was about seven, SWMBO was told that her deceased guinea pig was "with Jesus" and immediately though that somebody had crucified him.

Her parents were surprised how badly she took the news.

3. lglethal Silver badge
      Unhappy

To carry the old agade further...

Those who Can, Do.

Those who Cant, Teach.

Those who Cant Teach, Manage.

Those Who Cant Teach or Manage, Go into Politics...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

To quote Douglas Addams.

“Anyone who is capable of getting himself elected President should by no means be allowed to do the job.”

Narcissistic self-promoters are never any good at thinking about what's best for others

5. Blofeld's Cat
    Black Helicopters

Regime change?

So some MPs wish to clamp down on the use of social media to arrange protests.

Could these possibly be the same MPs who praise the use of social media to protest at the unpopular governments of other countries?

I wonder if there's some message they are not hearing here...

6. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

When will they ever learn?

They've failed to notice that it's because of thinking just like this that they got chucked out of government.

But when you have Ed Miliband claiming they didn't lose because of their policies but because the voters are stupid it seems that they will never learn.

7. Gulfie
    FAIL

Ahem...

I was going to write something. But all I can think is "what a muppet". Hope that's not a crime (yet).

8. kissingthecarpet
    Black Helicopters

Surprised he didn't blame Emmanuel Goldstein

The Labour party desperately need to purge their "Authoritarian" wing. They had a huge fund of goodwill in '97 & they completely spunked the whole lot by using "1984" as a manual for government. They must drop the New & Old rubbish, & rediscover their lost soul. When the Tories start to appear more liberal on Law & Order something has gone very wrong.

<pedantry>

Why not just say "asks the question" or even better "raises the question".

JF Ozimek - I refer you to http://begthequestion.info/ for a primer on this matter.

Think about it - where did you get the phrase from? You didn't invent the phrase yourself did you? Its a small step from "begs the question" to "I could care less" & using "your" & "there" when you mean "you're" & "their".

</pedantry>

1. Jane Fae

Hmmm...

You're sort of right: i really ought not to use the phrase, since i know that i don't have its meaning down pat - and therefore am likely to walk into bear traps. In this instance, i think there is enough of the literal meaning of that phrase hovering over the point i made for it not to be 100% wrong - but its far from right, so score one to you, Mr/Ms pedant.

On the other hand, if you follow me at all outside El Reg, you'll be aware that JF Ozimek doesn't exactly work, since its the last name that's the add-on and not exactly my surname, either.

Most of the time, i'm just plain Jane Fae - though not, i trust, an entirely plain Jane.

I hold on to the other bit, from time to time, to link back to the fact that i also have some academic reputation. So - pedanting right back atcha: its either J Fae or J Fae Ozimek. :)

jane

1. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Hmmm...

I think 'poses/raises the question' works in place of 'begs'. The whole 'begs the question' thing is as odd as 'moot point' and I tend to leave it alone.

2. Circadian
        Heart

@Jane Fae

I wasn't aware of your work on other sites (especially if you may publish under other names). Is it possible to give indication where to look - if that is allowed under El Reg rules - please?

1. Jane Fae

Google is your friend

Its not that different. I just tend to write, most places, as Jane Fae....

9. Peter Clarke 1
    Big Brother

Already here

Obviously David Hanson isn't aware of the consequences of 'threatening' to blow up Robin Hood Airport.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Maybe a better direction

would be to LISTEN to what the people are saying, the violence was due to thuggery which you'll never get rid of because society encourages it. Like it or not!

After all were all* brought up to believe that your only a man if your use your fists.

(*depending no how educated your parents are)

11. Circadian
    WTF?

Can I no longer say what I think?

Does this mean that it is no longer safe to even mention that I think the whole lot of the corrupt MPs and sellout B'stards (whether Alan or otherwise) should be tried for treason and strung up?

12. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Police violence on YouTube

There are enough police violence, assault, unlawful arrest on YouTube to keep them bus for a while... it's time to report those!

13. NB
    Flame

idiot.

If you don't believe in freedom of speech for the people you hate then you don't believe in freedom of speech.

14. Christoph
    Flame

Encouraging terrorism?

So this would apply to encouraging terrorist acts like asking awkward questions in a Labour Party meeting? (Remember the bloke who got accused of terrorism for that?)

15. Colin Millar
    Pirate

Dear Lord Gmone

Have any of of your other readers noticed the striking resemblance between David Hanson MP and Col M Gadaffi?

Could they by any chance be related?

I think we should be told.

16. Sam Therapy
    Thumb Down

Corrupt before they obtain power

Like Douglas Adams, I am deeply suspicious of *anyone* who believes they should be in charge.

I used to be a member of the Labour Party because I believed in its aims. Then they got rid of Clause IV. Downhill ever since then.

I was never simple minded enough to believe in politicians of *any* stripe, though; Labour were the best of a bad lot. Now there's not a cigarette paper between any of them.

17. Rhomboid
    Grenade

Are they serious?

I'm outraged, people don't use the internet to raise awareness, share information or call others to action. Enough allegations and restrictions of our civil liberties... start tweeting your friends, we're forming a lynch mob!

18. Ascylto
    Big Brother

Another example of Labour (New or Improved or whatever) wanting to micro-manage everything. They lost the last election, can't apologise for their part in selling the country down the river and STILL want to ID card us all.

When will they ever learn?

19. JaitcH
    WTF?

Keep Plod out of people's lives

Plod should apprehend alleged scoff-laws and leave the determination of guilt or innocence, as well as punishment, to the Learned Beaks.

Too much power has accreted to Plod and, in particular, that collection of aged reprobates who hide behind ACPO.

Plod has affiliation to government whereas Learned Beaks are, allegedly, independent. Any rule assessment by Plod is a conflict of interest.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like