back to article Arkansas governor spanks arse cleavage

The governor of Arkansas has struck a blow for fashion and common decency by outlawing the practice among students of turning up to school with their trousers at half-mast. On Wednesday, Mike Beebe signed the historic bill which prohibits clothing which exposes "underwear, buttocks or the breast of a female". The move was …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Pirate Dave Silver badge
    Pirate

so

are these students ass-clowns or ass-hats? Or even, perhaps, ass-pirates...

2. Leeroy
    WTF?

WTF

This is why they should be wearing school uniform.

Simple really.

3. david 63

Thank gods...

...it's Friday.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

appropriate clothing

I have heard it argued that the proper clothing for intellectual work should be loose and non-clinging

- like a monk's habit (or burka??)

-coat - I have a cloak!

5. Peter Simpson 1
    WTF?

Solving the wrong problem

According to TFA, the law prohibits exposure of "underwear, buttocks or the breast of a female".

Does it address the exposure of underwear or buttocks of males as well? The former is not an issue to which I necessarily desire a resolution; the latter most definitely is.

6. Efros

Whale tails

endangered species in Arkansas then.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ahh, the good old Taliban States of America.

Your free to wear what you're told, watch what you're told, read what you're told and think what you're told.

1. Efros

READ???

burn him!!!!

8. An ominous cow herd

Buy your burqas now!

So, if (1) the law forbids the exposure of "underwear, buttocks or the breast of a female", and (3) we might assume it's not refering the the whole of each, then no feminine cleavage is alowed to be shown anymore?

I'll get _your_ burqa now!

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Simply amazing

It's amazing that you need to legislate decency but in this day and age the animals, aka yuff, are allowed to roam wild.

1. Blake St. Claire
      Big Brother

Well, it is Arkansas after all.

Give 'em enough time and the'll do common sense and morality too.

10. Goodwrench
    Joke

Now this is IMPORTANT government work!

It is sooo....good to know that the governor is spending the public's time, and thereby money, on people's butt cracks. At least he has his priorities in order.

11. disgruntled yank

Think about the plumbers!

So if I have work that involves bending or squatting, I'll have to wear overalls or move out of state?

12. The Grinning Duck
    Alert

Persecution, this is

Won't somebody think of the skateboarders?

That bit of lag ’twixt groin n gusset acts as a remarkably effective airbag/crumplezone when things go a bit wrong and a board or rail is making kinetic designs on our dangly bits.

13. Michael M
    Headmaster

Solution

Once your jeans are at half-mast you sew them to your boxers, then wear a second pair of boxers under that.

14. Kibble
    FAIL

RE: female cleavage

The law should stand until some over zealous plod arrests a lady for showing off her cleavage. Not sure whether this will happen on the street or on a beach, but it will go to court and common sense should prevail. As Arkansas is a tad warm in the summer, my guess is that this will happen sooner than later.

1. Quxy

Yes, cleavage IS verboten

That is one of the intents of this law. But it only applies to public primary and secondary school students, and only when they're at school or school-sponsored events. (Cheerleaders' skimpy "uniforms" are specifically excluded.) Not such a big change, as most school districts already have dress codes banning cleavage and arse cracks; this just lets the schools blame someone else for the rule.

15. skeptical i

Yoofs are competing over how clothing is worn (or not)?

Really? Is this at real school or at schools for the, um, "challenged"?

1. Ken Hagan Gold badge

Re: competing

"Yoofs" have always done this, and it is a Good Thing.

I'd like to see you come up with a mechanism for flagging up the room-temperature IQ brigade which costs nothing, which the victims actually volunteer for, and which (Arkansas governors notwithstanding) actually does no harm to public morality or anyone's personal well-being.

2. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

"Competitions"

There definitely is a fad with some groups in wearing trousers as low as possible. With the usual result that they have to waddle in a particular manner in order to keep them from falling down.

It gets scary coming past a high school some days, more coin slots than a parking meter factory.

And I'm in a country where school students have to wear a uniform — I shudder to think what it's like where free-dress is the norm.

1. kwhitefoot
        Happy

Free-dress is the norm here in Norway

Generally where I live the students are both better dressed and better behaved than in the UK. By better I don't mean necessarily more expensively but more neatly. Essentially the rule in most schools in Norway is that everyone has to wear clothing appropriate for the weather and that's about it. A few male teachers have been heard to complain that they don't know where to look when assisting female students in the summer but it seems to be regarded as of no great consequence.

And walking past a high school here is definitely not a scary experience (unless you find looking at good looking well dressed Norwegian girls scary).

And before someone brings up the idea that uniform is necessary to prevent competition and bullying the proper solution is to educate the young so that bullying is not seen as cool. Norway is not perfect in this regard but it does at least try and I don't mean that the schools simply rely on publishing an anti-bullying policy. And anyway I see teenagers dressed in a wide spectrum of styles and there seems not to be any antagonism between those who dress 'up' and those who dress 'down'.

Also it is much better to not have a uniform than have one that is not enforced.

16. armyknife

Better a meritocracy than titles

Funny this story should come out, the day after 31st March.

17. Steve Brooks

care?

Does anyone really care? Except the mentally deranged that is. What other people wear of their own free will is immaterial, although I do have misgivings about people being FORCED to wear certain clothing to comply with moral imperatives of a certain religion. As mentioned earlier, how can you complain about burqa's being forced on people by the morality of an outdated religion when you force other people to dress by the morals of YOUR outdated religion.

1. Mr. Ed

It has nothing at all to do with religion

just common (?) decency. Unless you're going to advocate for no dress code at all, it seems to be no great threat to ask students to not come to school dressed like pimps and whores and to keep their private parts private.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Works for me

No one is interested in seeing half naked ghetto rats grazing in the streets or shopping malls. If people want to wear Burqas that's fine. Move to any Islamic country. Otherwise dress according to the country you're in.

19. Nigel Brown

You have to wonder

why the yoof think it's cool to drss like a prison bitch. I'm sure if they kew the history of this 'style' of dress they'd hitch up their waistbands to a Cowell-beating height.

20. ShaggyDoggy

Fashion

Fashion always makes fools of its followers

21. The Fuzzy Wotnot
    Thumb Up

Good on hm!

While I get a severe temptation to walk up to these kids, grab their belt loops and yank up their trousers, I also enjoy the sight of watching one of these fashion victims struggle up a flight of steps when the crotch of their jeans is somewhere around their knees! Priceless when they have to waddle up the steps while still trying to retain a look of "coolness", that being unable to walk around normally is a small price to pay to look that good! They all look like denim-clad Penguin's henchmen from Batman!

"I used to be with IT, then they changed what IT was!." - Grandpa Simpson

22. Craig 28
    FAIL

Re:It's amazing

What is truly amazing is that noone here seems to have noticed the date on the article...

This topic is closed for new posts.