back to article Nokia cranks up twisty-turny phone design

A Nokia application to the US Patent and Trademark Office has revealed its work on a handset that’s operated by cranks - no, not grumpy office-worker types - and which looks suspiciously like the troubled Sidekick Slide. Nokia_patent Nokia cranks things up a notch The handset looks about the size of the iPhone, but Nokia’s …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Marc Lawrence
    Thumb Up

Bayliss

So this is not the start of the clockwork battery / mobile revolution we have been waiting for... apparently...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

They just cant seem to better the PSION Series 5 mechanism can they.

They just cant seem to better the Psion Series 5 opening/closing mechanism can they.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Err prior art..

Can you apply a patent to a rack and pinion motion invented oooo sometime around the era of the pyramids?

Oh sorry forgot, may have word computer or phone tagged to it....

4. Edwin

@Marc

Hmmm - I regularly spend considerable time away from power outlets, so bought a freecharge mobile phone charger/emergency battery combo.

It takes a substantial bit of cranking (using quite a lot of force) to charge the internal battery (in turn charging the phone) - I suspect there's not a lot of market there - too much effort involved.

5. TeeCee Gold badge
    Coat

Can't resist.....

Is this for making crank calls?

I think that this is a Nokia wind-up.

Fast taxi please.

6. Andrew J. Winks
    Unhappy

Be very a-frayed

It is nice to see that they have numbered all the positions of the wires that will break through constant flexing.

7. Richard Guthrie
    Thumb Down

Design f aw

Do they n t rea ise that the E g ish anguage has twe ty six etters i it

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re: Psion 5 mechanism

Hear hear! Nothing beats the Psion's design. Even the 3 series is outstanding in terms of the folding mech. Shame about the flexies though.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like