back to article RM revenue declines in face of UK.gov slash fest

School tech provider RM is still struggling with a "subdued" market, following the UK government's recent allocation of education funds. The company said in a pre-close update this morning that revenue in the first half of its fiscal year, which ends on 31 March 2011, would be down on 2010's H1 figures. Terry Sweeney, RM's …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

RM Machines

ah, the 380z ... Have RM updated anything since then?

2. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Research Machines 380Z

"Consequently we are aligning our cost base to reflect the new conditions and to protect Group profitability"

Is he volunteering for a pay cut ? If they were innovative (I used a 380Z at school - we used to have to book slots to use it) then perhaps they could go for other market segments,,,

1. Elmer Phud
      FAIL

Pay Cut?

I think you know that's highly unlikely.

'aliging our cost base' usually means sackings and more out-sourcing.

Yup, I'll go for the 'Fail' as well

3. Father Jed

@AC of 9:29

Bandwagon jumper!!

Early model 280z with COS 2.0. sometime in the mid 70's

Yes COS == Cassette Operating System

came with a duck shoot game that had scarey similarity to AngryBirds

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Dell sales force

I see they are posting in droves today.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@ Dell sales force #

Nah, HP, Lenovo and Acer are also far better built as well.

6. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

RM, expensive ....

Well I would guess that they are losing a lot of money in the VLE area as well, the piss poor offering that they were busy flogging 3 Years ago has just come up for renewal, most schools won't miss it and will save thousands. The salesman I spoke to when trying to get if fixed,basically said maybe the rubbish they sell was not for us, and we should go else where, but they already had 30 grand for sweet FA.

Or maybe if you want the latest CC4 server, you might be a bit put off by the windows 2003 server they will sell you, not having quite got 2008 working yet.

Robbers selling crap to the mostly non business like staff at schools. I suppose support, which is patchy at best will suffer, though how far further down it can go I'm not really sure.

If you send in a three page report on the problem, they will normally ask what colour database it is (purple I hear it's fastest), just to cover the 4 hour response time.

To be honest they do allow slightly techie people to look after a network, but it is a bit touch and go sometimes.

7. druck Silver badge
    WTF?

Bring back Acorn

Are RM still selling crap to schools? Bring back Acorn!

8. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    FAIL

How have RM lasted *this* long?

Sure the 380z was built like a tank.

25 years ago.

So *how* have they kept on in this niche for *so* long?

Why do schools *still* buy them?

Was it Becta anointing them as the *chosen* PC?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

other services expensive

I remember seeing how much RM charged schools for network services, HUGE markups on basic ADSL etc.

This topic is closed for new posts.