back to article iOS 5 falls back to autumn, say moles

Don't expect iOS 5.0 to be available to download as early as June - it'll be out in September. So say two "solid sources" cited by TechCrunch, though neither appears to say why Apple will stop using a timetable that has served it well for many a year. Certainly, the company didn't say anything about the next major release of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Stephane Mabille
    Jobs Horns

Early November

iOS 5.0 will be pushed back to early November, after the 1st Sunday to be exact.

Apple found a bug in the beta that prevents alarm and clock to work with daylight saving time.

As 7 months is a bit short to solve the problem (Apple escalation team has already been working on the issue for 2 years now without great result (except changing the direction of the clock change)), they decide for the root cause of the issue to disappear (at last until early April, well after the holidays season $$$).

2. Michael Downie

Odd

Odd that. Oh well, I suppose it gives Android a chance to make some serious inroads with Gingerbread and honeycomb.

Sent from an iPad I was randomly handed at work.

1. bolccg
      WTF?

Wow, cool!

Where do you work?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Handed an iPad at work?

"Where do you work?"

He's the guy who stands just inside the door at the Apple Store.

3. Anthony Shortland
    WTF?

so the big features are...

A google latitude/facebook places clone, and a internet archive (lets call it........ itunes!) to download your previously purchased itunes content from.

wow.

still no mention of real multitasking, or proper widgets to make use of the quad core chip the fanboys keep gushing over.

1. Giles Jones Gold badge

Multitasking

Real multitasking? have you even used it and seen it working?

When it was announced many people said that it was "similar to how Android" when the details of the multitasking was announced.

All phones multitask, otherwise you wouldn't be able to write a text and then receive a phone call at the same time.

Multitasking for applications needs care. Do you really want to answer a call when running a game and have the game carry on running? do you want to answer a call and have your music carry on playing?

When Windows Mobile implemented multitasking people were always complaining that the close [X] button didn't close the application, merely backgrounded it. Some people complain about that with iOS4 now.

4. Giles Jones Gold badge

Erm...

So why are they announcing the future of iOS and OSX at WWDC in early June? 5th-10th to be precise?

Doesn't sound like slippage to me.

5. Rick Brasche
    Thumb Down

yay. all sorts of new "features" that I am not allowed to use

because I don't have an iPhone 4, I can't use some of the "new" features in the latest iOS. For example, the ability to use "find my iPhone" with a free account is only allowed to run on the 4, even though all the necessary sensors and functions are built into the 3GS.

Owners of the 3G are already being forced into obsolescent/nonoperation by recent iOS updates. I thoroughly expect 5 to be the nail in the coffin for the 3G and below, while causing significant performance problems with the 3GS. Then by iOS 5.X, anything less than the iPhone 4 will be essentially unsupported.

Apple's newest ad campaign should be: "Apple: making sure it's not a matter of 'if", but 'when' you'll switch to Android"

if AT&T's pricing and service plans for the Atrix weren't so ridiculously counterproductive, and their customer service in their store so lacking, I would've already ditched the Apple cider.

1. Michael C
      WTF?

It's a phone, not a PC

a 2 year lifespan is generous to still be getting updates AT ALL. the 3G has been getting them until almost it's 3rd year. Some Droids hit the market and say a single update after 3-4 months and NEVER another one, some were released and told they would get an update, then 6 months later were told "sorry."

Apple added every feature it could to the 3GS, given it's CPU is less than half as powerful, and battery life was far inferior to the 2G/3G. You should be lucky they added any features at all beyond simple patches, and that you got what you did free which was completely unheard of 4 years ago, and many phone makers DO still charge for updates.

6. Michael C

No surprise at all

When it was just the phone (and iTouch), a major Os update anally was somewhat (though not even totally if you ask most devs) reasonable. Now with the tablet, 2 disparate phone performance tiers and chipsets still supported, and ATV2, not to mention that the OS has a LTO more features than it used to, development hours per release are climbing. 12 months between major releases, especially when the core products are released in 3 seperate events spread 6-7 months apart end to end, it just isn't reasonable to keep up with. Merging mobile.me and a new streaming platform in would add more heartache.

By postponing this release (likely to be the biggest and most platform evolving yet anyway) a few months gives them a few chances. 1: major iPhone release can coincide with mobile.me and ATV3. 2) Pad 2 Pro could concurrently be released, with the better screen, SD, etc people were clammoring for. 3) a 15 month release cycle is more reasonable. 4) it lets Os X Lion get more attention. 5) iPhone and ipad might start getting a more frequent hardware update du to the shift as opposed to once a year.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Best... Typo... Ever!

"a major Os update anally"

Ouch!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like