back to article BP loses personal details on spill victims

Infamously leaky oil company BP has lost a laptop containing personal information, social security numbers and other details on 13,000 people claiming compensation for the Gulf of Mexico oil spill. The laptop was password-protected but not encrypted. It was lost 1 March by a travelling BP exec. BP said the lappy contained a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

"Despite this claim, reporters for AP found at least two claimants who had still to hear from BP."

Perhaps BP didn't know to contact them because they had lost their details?

2. Stumpy
    FAIL

*sigh* When will they ever learn ...

(null)

3. IglooDude
    FAIL

Title

"It said it took protection of personal information very seriously" but its actions very clearly contradict its words. Congrats BP, you've just added insult to injury.

Sidenote, do we never hear about loss of unencrypted internal employee listings with personal data because they are better protected, or because companies aren't obliged to report it at the same level?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

The last three laptops that were stolen ...

... with personal information on resulted in fines of 60, 70 and 80 thousand pounds for each organisation concerned.

BP is not a public body so I wonder if they will get a big fine, or if the ICO will even get involved.

5. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Unbelievable

Was password protected but not encrypted?!

A company the size of BP and they still know nothing about basic IT security?

Love to see how they plug this one....

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Infamously leaky oil company"

LOL

No, really, I did.

7. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Happy

Hey Boss...

Oil sea about that leak

8. Tom 13
    Headmaster

Dear BP

Ya know, even though you failed to follow industry best practices on the rig where the spill happened, I won't hold that too strongly against you. I do actually fault The Big 0 and his response to the spill when it happened, and the failure of his administration to properly oversee your drilling plan because they were all set to give you that safety award and seize a photo op.

But in the case of this laptop, if I were on the jury I'd award $1 US million apiece to the people listed in the spreadsheet just on general principles.

Sincerely,

Tom 13

9. Ooo-wait-BUT!
    Paris Hilton

419BP

Following a catastrophic accident in the gulf of mexico we have found that you may be entitled to compensation of 25milliondollarsUS.

Paris knows this is all very phishy.

10. Dog Faced Boy
    FAIL

Tracking Software?!?

What amazes me is that there is plenty of paid for and free solutions that will allow you to install software on your computer and monitor its location form any computer that can connect to the internet.

As soon as the person who stole the laptop connects it online, the laptop will call home, if the laptop has a camera, pictures will also be taken. You can then retrieve this info for the police by logging into an online account which will store the data (location and images)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like