back to article Firefox fans get IE-happy AJAX testing tools

JavaScript coders targeting Firefox can now test their apps with free tools that started life serving the developers on Microsoft's once mighty Internet Explorer. dynaTrace Software has released AJAX Edition 3 that adds support for Firefox 3.6 and 4.0 to its AJAX performance management tool. Earlier versions had only tested …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. TonyHoyle
    WTF?

I like to hate on IE like the anyone else, but...

"A major thing that has held devs back on IE has been a lack of HTML support in the browser from Microsoft"

I'm pretty sure that a browser that didn't support HTML wouldn't gain much market share.. What did these people think it supported. Gopher?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Missing words...

It possibly should have read "A major thing that has held devs back on IE has been a lack of [standards based] HTML support in the browser from Microsoft"

As for IE being the market leader, That in large part is down to the fact that's it's bundled with the market leading OS. Note; market leader != the best! To be fair, when IE6 was released it was a cracking product, however it lingered too long.

1. Tom 13

Even when it was initially released, IE6 was a dog

trying to catch Netscape. Only their dominant market position in the OS market, which was illegally leveraged, allowed MS to corner the market. Even if an incompetent judge did let them off the hook.

Why yes, I do hold a grudge when the law is abused, sliced, diced, and shredded.

2. Real Ale is Best
    Linux

So...

Does it run on Linux?

3. adnim

Is this a good thing?

I expect it is, I'm using Firebug myself, an excellent tool. I will give this dynaTrace software a go. To be honest I never heard of it, thanks for bringing this to my attention.

"Andreas Grabner said that most IE sites are suffering in terms of development and functionality because devs have switched to Firefox or are going to Google's Chrome."

That's understandable, it is easier to write standards compliant code and then bend the code to work in IE rather than coding to IE standards and then having to bend to code to suit more standards compliant browsers. However, is there such a thing as an IE site? And if there is, should there be? I always thought a website was standards compliant or not.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

"a very hard core [of companies] are still clinging to IE6 and IE7"

There's a reason for that.

They don't want to spend large amounts of money testing and deploying something which their software may be incompatible with, nor do they want to spend lots of money upgrading the software itself, when it works perfectly well without deploying a newer browser.

Spend a few million quid to "upgrade" to exactly where you were before but with a newer version of IE?

Why would you do that - especially, if like my company, the browser is mainly used internally?

5. <user />
    Gates Halo

tit-le

Its becoming a little hard to hate IE, well IE9 at least - it is just not that bad!

Of course the real problem lays with older version of IE and that simply won't disappear!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like