back to article Europe to get space radiation-storm warning service

International boffins are meeting in Blighty today with the aim of setting up a European solar radiation-storm warning service. With the Sun expected to belch forth increasing amounts of bad "space weather" in coming years, the scientists warn that billions of pounds' worth of damage could be done to satellites in orbit. A …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"space Katrina"?

So do ocean condition forecasts warn of "wave Katrinas"? I'm sure I heard that somewhere years ago, maybe on a Shipping Forecast?

1. TakeTheSkyRoad

The title is required, and must contain letters and/or digits.

Be aware we're in a transition period here.... in 6 months it'll be "space Fukushima" and Katrina will be yesterday's disaster buzzword

2. Luther Blissett

OMFlyingSpaghettiMonster!

We are doomed!! It's going to be the Mother of Carrington Event!!! Run for the hills!!!!

Then all your common goodies are belong to US, sorry wrong, to the UNO.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Boffin

It's about time..

I for one welcome our solar mutant overlords

(don't forget your shades)

3. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Thumb Up

but the 64Euro question

What will the people who get these warnings *do* with them?

We're looking at a notice period in *minutes*. If people don't have their plans ready to go (isolating sections of the electricity back bone, shutting down large furnaces to preserve the ability to make the steel for replacement transformers etc) this will be a total waste of time.

However I welcome international cooperation in this area so *cautious* thumbs up.

4. F111F
    Megaphone

Duplication?

Can't they get what they want from here?: http://spaceweather.com/

5. Youngone Silver badge
    Stop

Golgafrincham

They really should be worried about the Mutant Star Goat. My hairdresser told me all about it.

6. Bernard M. Orwell
    Black Helicopters

So, I guess....

...we're bored of being scared of non-existant terrorists, and the greenhouse effect/global warming/climate change has run out of new things to be called, so the Great Powers That Be had to find a new, implacable and unassailable foe for us all to be scared of (see: protected from).

I'm suprised that space has suddenly become so uppity, given how long its been around. Must be our fault somehow.

F.U.D. thats the order of the day. Again.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like