back to article HTC Incredible S Android smartphone

The Incredible S is latest in HTC’s extensive line of Android handsets. It runs version 2.2 of the OS, includes a 1GHz processor, 8Mp camera and lots of clever tricks, but despite its distinctive rubbery look, it isn’t hugely different from its siblings. Not that that’s necessarily a bad thing, since it’s still got plenty going …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. James Hughes 1

80%?

For phone that basically does everything right (according to the review)? Seems a bit mean.

The only downside appeared to be it not using a dual core, which by the reviewers own comments appears to be unnecessary.

1. Giles Jones Gold badge

80%

It offers nothing new that the Desire HD doesn't offer, it's £500 which is a lot of money for an older version of the OS.

I really don't see why HTC produce so many handsets with only slight differences. They could at least have different form factors, one with keyboard or a slider.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Looks nice...

But I think I'll carry on with my Desire HD, looks basically the same phone but with a (marginally) smaller screen.

3. Carol Orlowski
    FAIL

So a very good Android smartphone with everything right

only gets 80%?

I'm guessing it got 15% deduced for no Apple logo...

1. DrXym

iPhone 4 only got 75%

So there you go. It's subjectively better than an iPhone.

2. Code Monkey
      Jobs Horns

Conspiracy theory, but...

...spot on I reckon

3. Thomas 4

I'm only guessing here

But 80% is damn fine score for any phone. If every phone received a score of 95%, it wouldn't be much use as a means to determine quality.

If I had to hazard a reason, it would be that the Incredible is not a huge leap forward in terms of new technology. So it is a good phone with a good score, not a fantastic phone with a fantastic score.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I'm guessing

you missed the part where it said it doesn't come with Gingerbread and only has a single core CPU?

Single core works for now, but just wait till the next release comes around maybe in less than a year? Not so great future proofing therefore not eligible for full marks, imho.

4. Loyal Commenter Silver badge

Sounds nice

It has the most important thing (to me) that the Desire is missing, which is a front-facing camera for video calls. For those of us with friends and family in other countries, the ability to use skype away from a pc would be very handy.

1. Dave Fox
      Stop

Skype?

Last time I checked, Skype for Android didn't support video calling!

2. mdava

title

Only an observation: I use Skype all the time, but almost never use the video facility. I generally know the people I'm talking to, and don't need a blurry image of them talking to a camera.

3. David Evans

@Loyal Commenter

Shame the Skype Android App doesn't support video...

1. Random Handle

@David Evans

>Shame the Skype Android App doesn't support video...

He's probably thinking of Fring which used to support Skype video calls on Android until Skype killed it off.

Android Fring still works fine with video chat on its own and most other networks though - AFAIK on Nokia, iOS handsets too. Its great if you're on the road a lot and have young kids, but I suspect most other applications tend more towards the sordid.

5. DrXym

HTC Sense

My regular Desire has Sense and while it looks nice and has some advantages over a vanilla Android 2.2 display I'm starting to dislike it for all kinds of little things and a few big ones.

The biggest by far is the Phone screen fills up with list of frequently called numbers and its far too easy to dial one by accident. I can't even count the number of times I've done it, either lightly brushing the wrong contact, or sticking the phone in my pocket only to dial a number in the process. There really should be an option so list can be hidden or protected by inadvertent touching.

Other gripes include the lack of initiating a speaker phone call, apps that auto launch even though I never asked for either to launch (Stocks & Places), some incredibly retarded widgets such as a favourite callers list which is very difficult to edit, a sense that the UI can get a bit janky / crashy after a few days running and a lot of needlessly duplicated stock widgets and apps bloating up the firmware size and menus.

I don't know if other phones are any better but I wish they'd all stop doing it. Google should help here by making their UI more skinnable, hopefully allowing manufacturers to customize the experience without writing UIs from scratch.

1. mrwenni

Call Confirm

....its far too easy to dial one by accident...

There's the Call Confirm app for that. Should have been standard in Android though (as should the switches for WIFI, GPS, etc...)

6. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Redundant Phone...

Seems a bit of a redundant phone to be honest - it's essentially just a Desire HD with a smaller screen and a rubber back. Yay.

7. Ryan Clark
    Unhappy

windows fail

Has the things I wish my windows phone 7 had. DLNA and exandable memory, plus no need for Zune.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Incredible...

...but is it magical?

Oh wait...I'm in the wrong distorted reality. Carry on.

9. Gareth 18

Great phone

It seems to have everything the Desire HD has which makes it better then the standard Desire, but in a smaller and much more manageable package.

Pity about the 80% marking, it certainly deserves at least 90% (dropping 10 off for the lack of 2.3, but even that is a bit harsh considering HTC have confirmed it will be updated in early Q2)

10. Anonymous Coward
    Badgers

80%... based on preconceptions?

85% for the slower smaller plasticy Defy

85% for the very similar Nexus S

Yet a phone with seemingly more (rugged, fastest processor, better cameraS etc) only gets 80%, I cant help but feel this result is skewed by some preconception of the reviewer as the sub head seems to indicate.

I'm starting to get curious about what scores a 90%+ around here...

1. Random Handle
      Thumb Down

@AC

>85% for the very similar Nexus S

No NFC, no SIP, lacks the gorgeous ergonomics of the curved screen.

>Yet a phone with seemingly more (rugged, fastest processor, better cameraS etc)

There's no difference on the CPU, GPU-wise the PowerVR SGX540 of Nexus S has twice the power (via 3D Mark Mobile) of the soon to be defunct Adreno 205 used in the Incredible S.

I'd give it 75% were I being generous - especially as the Nexus S has been floating about since last November.

11. Wang N Staines

hahhahahhaaa

priced to match iphones! no thanks.

12. nick 30

Hmmm.. a phone.

Can it make calls... Yes

Can I install apps without selling my soul to Apple/MS/Google... Yes

Is it easy to use... Yes

Is the hardware fast enough... Yes

Can you control the phone... Yes

Great phone but at that price I'll buy it used off Fleabay.

13. Monty Burns

design and features stagnation?

Is it me or since the HD2 have phones really not progressed that well (at least from HTC)? They all seem to be roughly the same shape and feature set ......

Come on HTC, you were an innovator (briefly!), get back on to pushing the boundaries!

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

FM radio?

I have a HTC Desire which is a great phone, but the FM radio reception is really crap. The review of this phone which look pretty similar presumably didn't test this?

15. HMB

Dual Core!!!??

What's this obsession with dual core on phone? It makes no sense!

I'm sure it's just because it's a buzzword-catchphrase that the zeitgeist sucked on, masticated, churned, digested and popped out the other end.

Not once have I ever thought to myself "my android phone needs to be quicker". The only times I've ever wondered about speed were animations that I'm positive are GPU accelerated on magical, revolutionary iDevices. So throw in some clever code and a good mobile GPU, job done.

What's the point in taking a 1Ghz mobile chip and dual coring it? Threaded applications on your mobile? Ha!

It's just a pointless suck down of juice. Go imagery!!

1. Steve Evans

Re: Dual Core

Agreed... With one hand they're screaming "We want dual core, deduct point for not having it" and with the other hand they would be screaming (yes, hands screaming, just go with it) "Battery life only 12 hours!!!!", or maybe "The 3000mAh battery makes the handset to heavy at 350grams".

The Desire Z, which I have, only has an 800Mhz single core, but is quite capable of 720 video recording and movie play back. In fact it feels snappier to use than the 1Ghz DHD, even with all the crap I've cluttered it up with! (Does it have a better video chipset?)

2. Monty Burns

Its about pushing limits....

Its about pushing limits and boundaries. If we followed your advice, we would probably still be running around naked, jumping from tree to tree...

1. Steve Evans

Re: Its about pushing limits

How about we push the limit of battery design and low power consumption a bit more first before we start adding things that suck up even more juice. A phone that can last 24hrs is about as low as is really practical.

It's a pity we lost that leaping from tree to tree skill.

16. Tom 38
    Go

Why 80%?

Battery life not exceptional

No dual core

No froyo

Costs £500 for an unexceptional phone

Picture quality of the camera looked alright tho.

@HMB: Why is dual core useful? You can turn one of them off when you don't need it, and run them both slower, increasing battery life if you do it right.

17. RichyS
    WTF?

Product range

Is it just me, or is the entire HTC Android product line (god help us if you try and include WinPho too) utterly mystifying?

Does anyone actually understand where each phone sits in the range? My suspicion is that HTC have just rearranged their components into every possible unique combination, and given it a name.

1. Steve Evans

Re: Product range

Yup, that sounds about right!

My take on it is:

HTC Desire - First one

HTC Desire Z - First one with some new chips and a keyboard

HTC Desire HD - First one with some new chips and a bigger screen

HTC Incredible S - The HD with a slightly smaller screen

That's about as far as I have managed to work it out... Another difference which has had a mention in some circles is the Incredible S is a complete bugger to get permanent root on, HTC have included ROM signing on it's loader, which is a pity.

2. Giles Jones Gold badge

One reason?

I think they get paid by mobile operators to build them a phone. They then sell this design under their own name with a few tweaks to make them look different. It happened with the Nexus one, that became the Desire, they just changed the trackball.

In the end it just means more and more work for their ROM development teams, so that firmware updates take longer to come out.

18. Atonnis

Oh......wow...

....it's an HTC phone with an outdated version of Android on it....

....never seen that before.

19. Alan Brown Silver badge

Dual core

Dual core can lower power consumption by quite a bit, especially on properly designed CPUs. (X86 is a kludgefest)

Power consumption isn't linear to speed.

More slower, lower powered cores can make for a smoother experience - IF the developers can make use of them correctly.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like