back to article EU bodies schooled on ethical data-gathering

EU bodies should tell people that some personal information on them might be made public before gathering any personal data, the bodies' privacy watchdog has said. The bodies should adopt 'a presumption of openness' in certain cases, it said. The European Data Protection Supervisor (EDPS), Peter Hustinx, has published revised …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

I cannot agree

I cannot agree that the names of participants in a meeting at any political level be kept secret. The basic notion of all European governments at this time is democracy, and the definition of democracy if government of the people by the people. Keeping names secret is a mockery of the very notion of democracy. The people have the right who is making the decisions for them.

On the other hand, I can only applaud the idea that personal data be kept secret unless authorized by the person. I would even go so far as to say that authorizations should be kept on a case-per-case basis - in other words, I want a new authorization request for ever attempt to resell the data.

My life is private, I have the right to keep it that way.

1. Tigra 07
      Thumb Down

RE: Pascal

The EU isn't democratic, they are self electing and do what THEY want.

You don't even get to vote for EU president.

That's not democratic.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

The irony is hilarious

This is pretty damned ironic, given how disingenuous the assurances of 'confidentiality for the UK 2011 Census (wage slave (cattle) inventory) are.

Where you a sucker for this?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

EU institutions above the law

EU institutions are exempt from national laws of the countries in which they are located. They usually choose to follow local and community law but they are not obliged to do so - which means they may choose to roundly ignore the advice of the European Data Protection Supervisor.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like